Friday, July 06, 2012

Reflections on Making Art - Yes YOU can

This morning I read an interesting post on Walks in the Woods blog by Frieda Anderson.  She made a very interesting statement about failure. Go there and read it, if you will...then come back-I'll be right here.

Often when I was painting I would be told "I can't draw a straight line"  -  guess what?  Neither can I, without a ruler.  Surprisingly most art doesn't have many straight lines - and rulers are abundant if you need one!
Daughter of the Moon by Gene Black

There are some  almost straight lines in this piece, but not really.  The interesting thing about this piece is how it came to be.  I had help on this one. Magic happened.   When you "get into" your creative zone, magic is not uncommon.

The one thing you have to do with art is keep trying. This applies to quilters too.  Most quilts are works of art.  Granted I have seen a few that weren't, but a quilt made with passion is a work of art.

Oh, in case you didn't read my comment over at Frieda's post; here it is:
"..... I have had people tell me that they are not creative. I do not believe them. Everyone is creative if they find their voice. You hit the nail on the head: We only fail if we don't try. Other than that, each "less than perfect" is a learning and growing experience."
Yes, you are creative. Find your voice and let it sing!

15 comments:

bellefrogworks said...

That is a magical painting! I agree - we are all creative - made in the image of the Creator!

Gene Black said...

Exactly Gina. As a being created in the very image of the Creator, how can I help but be creative.

*note: Gina is a no-reply blogger so I can not reply to her by email.

Melissa said...

Beautiful post Gene. So is the one you reference. I have considered myself many things over the years: photographer, sculptor, quilter, but seldom ever artist. Not sure why it is hard for me to put that hat on. And can I just tell you, she really is magic and I love how she came to be.

Teresa Quilts said...

Cool looking painting, Gene. I am one of those who has tried painting and I can't draw a stick man or a straight line. LOL So, hopefully my quilting will be my art work.

Pat said...

Good post....good points you make! AND...you KNOW I have to tell you I'm very happy I can see the gal in your Daughter of the Moon painting!!! LOL

Robyn of Coffee and Cotton said...

Being a musician and an artist I can hear or see the difference in pieces. Those created with technical ability but no passion are flat and emotionless. The artist that is full of heart and passion creates beauty.

Rhonda said...

You are so right Gene. We need to find our inner voices. Another point is to realize that my voice is not your voice, that is to say, our creativity comes from our life experiences or natural abilities or even from words of encouragement. I'm babbling but hope that made sense.

Katrina said...

Great post Gene! One of my most UN-expectatly fav quilts is one that I call the hidden woman b/c there was an unintentional female shape in it - I love it when you get surprises like that!

Snoodles said...

Gene, this was very thought-provoking. I have to admit that my perfectionism was much worse before I quilted. LOL I have learned to let go and see what develops. Kind of like when I have to let go and let God work with me, right? :)
I went to the other blog, and back to your post that you linked to, as well. Thanks for sharing all of this today.

KeyQuilter said...

can't find your email address- could you make a "follow by email" link? I can't get time to keep up with everybody on the reader but I can with email! THANKS!

Tangos Treasures said...

Well said!!

Unknown said...

Great, thought provoking post, both yours and "Walk in the Woods'" . Here is another one that talks about how creativity is squashed by the very people that are supposed to encourage it. http://www.thomasknauersews.com/advice/
I have had a lot of food for thought recently!
Your painting is truly sublime.

bellefrogworks said...

Gene - I think I changed that no-reply option. They hide these things but I believe it was in my google+ profile.

Jean said...

I totally agree with her point of view. In fact, sometimes I think they have to go through the ugly phase before they are beautiful. Or maybe we are just tired of working on them.

Unknown said...

very pretty, love it