Sunday, July 08, 2012

Easy Weekend

The past week I have been a little "lazy" - choosing to relax and refresh for a few days.  However, my need to "make something" kicked in Friday evening and I got started on a simple rag quilt.  With the AccuQuilt Go cutter and rag die, this is super easy.  I cut a number of fabric squares and a number of batting squares.  (twice as many fabric as batting!)  For this one I used the same fabrics for both sides of each square.  That way my design is the same on both sides.  The only difference is that one side doesn't have the ragging.
So of course I am showing you the ragged side.


I did two pictures so that you can see the continuation of the design.  This quilt was finished in less than 24 hours. And, yes, that includes sleeping and eating. It is approximately 42" by 48" -or maybe a little larger due to the fringe on the edges.  I don't know if you can tell from the picture but on this side I carefully lined up the navy  batik with palm trees so that all the trees are upright.  I also tried to align all the red fabrics in the same orientation. Those are the only two with a directional design.
This isn't ragged well as it has only been washed and dried once.  It needs at least one more washing/drying cycle to get a nice fluffy ragged trim.
Has only reading ever made a rag quilt with pieced squares?  I am just wondering if that would be a fun project.
I also did some sewing on my latest handwork project last night.  I did a LOT of french knots on it.  I did learn to leave room for quilting it after all the hand work is done.  How did I learn this?  I re-watched the video on The Quilt Show. It seems I need to watch something several times to get all the details in my head.  However, Carol Ann Waugh has nothing to fear, my style with it is very different from hers.

8 comments:

Quiltingranny said...

I have been looking at that Go die, thanks for solidifying my decision...off to order!

Teresa Quilts said...

Love the quilt. My friend Bev has the larger rag quilt die, and she has used it once. She didn't like having to pick out all the bits and pieces left in the die. I don't know if she will use it again or not. I like my rag scissors I have. Have a blessed day!

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Gene, I did a rag quilt with the alternate block a four patch. I think...lol..long time ago. Nothing fancy ... But my son loves it. I have seen the alternate block with an appliqued leaf. It was really pretty for a rag quilt. I love what you did with your rag. That AccuQuilt go made short work of it. I would love to get one...maybe one day! Have a good week! Karen

JJ said...

I have done many rag quilts. They are fun to make and the sure wash up nice and soft when you use flannel. My grandkids seem to love them.

Tangos Treasures said...

Love it!!

Sue said...

I've made more rag quilts than I can count! Teens love them. I never did one with the AccuQuilt die, though. I need to try that. I LOVE the colors you used!

Melissa said...

LOL I love that you took the time to line up the directional prints. That is the one thing I manage to forget quite regularly!!! I keep telling myself it adds character :)

Richard Healey said...

I love the rag quilt. They are lots of fun. I also have wondered what a pieced rag quilt would look like. One day I am just going to have to find out.