Friday, July 27, 2012

Playing on the Seesaw

This edition of the Beginner's Quilt Along (block 8) is playfully titled,  Playing on the Seesaw.  You may know this as a Spool Block.  I made two versions, a warm version in brown, gold and red; and a bright version with my purple, aqua and white (with pin dots.)
 The bright one, I made first.  I thought I would be clever and cut the white strips at 12.5 by 5 and cut triangles to sew on the corners; you know, like making HSTs with two squares.  There is a reason no one does this.  It doesn't exactly work.  You may see that this doesn't match up perfectly on my bright one.

Then I made the warm one.
I did it by following the directions.  It came out much better.  Sadly it wasn't laying quite flat so, the lower right corner looks funny in the picture.  Trust me that it is really just fine.

That makes eight blocks out of twelve for each quilt.  I am moving right along with this quilt along.

If you wonder what a spool quilt would look like, I made one in EQ7 for you.  The Spool Block is in the EQ7  block library,  I didn't even have to draft it.



5 comments:

Barb said...

I love the spool blocks and the colors you have chosen.

Teresa Quilts said...

Good job, Gene! I still have not gotten into working on this, yet. I am downloading each block directions where I can do this later. I really like the simplicity, but great look of these.

Melissa said...

So I didn't see the seams until I saw the mock up quilt. Looks fantastic to me!

Rhonda said...

Love the blocks especially the warmer colored block!!

Barbara said...

The right colors give such a 3d effect. Love this block. Still haven't started this quilt along, think I will wait for the next one. Lol