Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Finally I finished this one!

I have been taking some courses on Craftsy.  A couple of weeks ago, I finished a project in the class.  But it was only a "quilt top" piece, not a truly finished project.  The course I took is called Stitch and Slash.  It was a very good course and I confess that I didn't spend enough time working on this.  I was so drawn in by the method that I just wanted to get started. Then I got it done and couldn't decide what to do with it.  So I let it sit.  But I wanted a project to do while I watched a couple of episodes of Doc Martin on Netflix.
So this evening I grabbed some fabric for backing.  I cute and sewed the backing and made it into a pillow.

Of course the pillow form I had didn't fit. No, it couldn't be that easy could it?  So I got some muslin and some poly fill and made the pillow form.  I learned a second lesson - make the pillow form a little larger NOT a little smaller so that it really fills up the pillow cover. Ah well, live and learn.  (and share, so someone else might not make the same mistake.)  Overall, I think it looks okay.   I am not really happy with all the choices I made along the way.  Still it was a great learning project and I will do better on my next one.
The good news? I have a FINISH!

13 comments:

Pat said...

I think it looks TERRIFIC!!! (What is stash and slash...or whatever you called it?)

Lynn said...

Looks great to me! And finished is better than perfect in most cases. Yay for a finish!

Beth said...

I learned that pillow lesson too. Yours looks great. The colors are amazing.

Barbara said...

I agree with everyone else, it's awesome!

Jean(ie) said...

That looks pretty cool, Gene! I debated on that class, but went for the Laura Wasilowski fusing class. I'm a huge craftsy fan. Great learning platform!

Cindy said...

Nice, nice pillow, Gene. Have to say - my eyes would go a tad "wonky" if I looked too long at it..LOL

Can totally relate to the "make pillow a little larger". LOL

Teresa Quilts said...

I love it! Thanks for the tip about pillow forms, but I had learned that while researching for the crazy pillows I will be making soon. Great job!

Jennifer Thomas said...

Congratulations on the finish, Gene! I think your pillow looks like a lot of fun! Have a super day!

sewfunquilts said...

My gosh, you sure accomplish a lot.

I've signed up for a couple Quiltsy classes too, but haven't even reviewed them yet.

Congrats on your FINISH!

Rhonda said...

Your creative self is all over that pillow, Gene. Great job!!!

Tangos Treasures said...

Look cool! Congratulations on a finish!!

Nikita said...

Lovely!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Dang Gene....you must suffer from the same thing I suffer from...perfectionism. I would have never ever ever known it wasn't perfect....until you mentioned it. We all look at our stuff differently than others see it. I often wish I could see what I make through someone else's eyes.

I like it...looks interesting to me.

Smiles,
Kelly