Monday, January 07, 2013

Slaying the Dragon - Zipper



I feel like I have slain the dragon.  Well, not the one in the picture.  That is one that I made of polymer clay for a friend who collects dragons. 

Here is the story of my dragon.  I am talking about one of those things that you avoid in your sewing or crafting because it seems like a dragon that will kill you. 
Hereby begins my tale:
I have a pair of very nice dress pants that I had worn less than a dozen times. They fit well and look good on me. 
The zipper BROKE a few weeks back (on Sunday, in church of course!) I put them in the "mending" pile and actually bought a new zipper. Ha! 
A couple of days ago I started ripping out the broken zipper...my anxiety started to rise. I thought "maybe I should just throw them out." I left them laying and went to something else. 

Then on Monday evening I came in and started on them again. I got the zipper out - and other than a few "special words" as I stuck myself on the pins I used (those flower head pins are thin and SHARP) I didn't have a great deal of problems getting the zipper in. 
I put them on and checked to see that it lays okay. YES! All that remained was to re-sew a few seams that had to come out to make way for the zipper. 
I did it! I have slain the dragon!!!!



16 comments:

Vicki W said...

Well done! Replacing zippers is a royal pain. Next you have to replace a zipper in jeans. Once you can do that you can do anything!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Congratulations! That is one of the most hated jobs. I used to do alterations in the 1970s and I learned to charge a lot for that job. Like Vicki W says, do one in jeans and then you have mastered it!

Four dogs and one quilter said...

Bravo! Now you will be putting zippers in everything.

Susan In Texas said...

Congratulations! Zippers are hard.

Thank you for offering to make AAQI quilts. Here are the specific instructions:

http://www.alzquilts.org/paq.html

They are rather particular! I'm worried two of the six quilts I have collected might be a bit too large for them. I hope they don't get rejected! After finally looking at the AAQI registration paper-work, I'm thinking it would probably be easier for you to send any that you make straight to the organization. I thought I could do all the registration myself, but I realize now that I have to get forms filled out by each of the quilters and THEN send it in to get the quilts registered, only THEN I can send them in! I should have done my research a bit better and this wouldn't have been such a surprise.

If you would prefer to send them to me instead, I would be happy to work with you on that. They are very particular about not using copyrighted designs, so that's a consideration too, though it sounds as if you're going to be designing your own. I hope so! I had lots of fun designing Clothesline Capers. 8)

Have fun with your class.
Susan in Texas

Pat Merkle said...

Impressive! I don't like to put zippers in new projects much less replace an existing zipper. Well done! :)

Jackie's Stitches said...

Congratulations! Not only did you put in a zipper, you replaced one (which to me seems to be more difficult). I hope you wear those pants SOON!

Cindy said...

Isn't it wonderful to WIN !!!

That dreaded dragon is behind you now, LOL

Barbara said...

Every zipper I have sewn was done differently! But they all work. Good for you!

sewfunquilts said...

What a terrific way to start 2013 w/slaying one of your dragons! Isn't it amazing how our insecurities and fears keep us from attempting things? Well done, Gene! Congratulations!

Beth said...

Congrats. I might have chickened out and tossed the pants.

Jean(ie) said...

Wow, you are one brave prince! I've yet to slay that dragon. zippers are toooooooo skeeeeeeery!

Jean(ie) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patty said...

I do not like repair work, but seem to do it all the time here. Congrats on your 1st zipper.

Barb said...

Good for you Gene....
love the dragon!

4dreamsr said...

I'm impressed! Zippers have got to be the worse repair work to do & I do hate repairs on garments. I know I'da ripped that pair of pants up for a quilt project.

Patty said...

Good for you!