Saturday, January 05, 2013

Playing with Digitizing

I got a couple of rather inexpensive digitizing programs for Christmas.  I have been wanting to learn some digitizing for machine embroidery (aka ME.)
So I started with a simple cat face design and digitized it.

Remember that this is my first attempt and I am still learning the program.  I see a couple of "oopsies" in this.  The nose (most obvious) has an open space in it.  The eyes could stand to be more neatly curved around the edges.  I mistakenly used a patterned stitch for the face outline and thus it looks more ragged.
There are tricks to learn in controlling the tools. I will be working on learning this for some time, I am sure.  But I did want to let you know that I am still "kicking" since I haven't posted in several days.

What is on your creative plate?  I need to get to work on a baby quilt - something simple - for a co-worker's soon to be born granddaughter.


Edited to add:  Some of you may not know about digitizing.  Digitizing is the process of turning a design into a file that is readable by an embroidery machine so that it will stitch out.  I started with simple drawings that I made in photoshop. 

9 comments:

Vicki W said...

It may have been the "wrong" stitch but I think that the cat face outline would look great in a variegated thread just as you have it drafted.

Pat said...

Very cute, Gene!!! I'm sure you will be working wonders with this in no time at all since even your first attempt was so adorable.

Barbara said...

I like this just as it is! I really don't want to picture the nose without the space, it adds a dimension. Cute!
Like you, I've been busy but not with anything huge, more like a bit of wheel spinning on my blog. ;)

Gmama Jane said...

Explain exactly what is digitizing? I know, I should know but I don't so best to ask when you don't know something. As for me, I'm working on a gift quilt, a blog hop item for In Your Words on Sew We Quilt beginning Monday. MY day is Tuesday, Jan. 8th. I'm also sewing angel baby gowns for my daughter who takes pictures for Now I Lay me Down To Sleep a non-profit org. that provides bereavement pictures for families who have lost a child before or after birth. She makes calls to the Hospital and needs gowns for these precious angel babies. It is a true labor of love for me.
Happy new Year gene
Blessings
Gmama Jane

Rhonda said...

Way to go Gene. I think you did a great job for your first time around.

Michelle said...

It's cute! That missing bit in the nose makes it look fun and quirky and less like it was done on an embroidery machine.

My plate is full to overflowing with baby quilts right now. I'm trying for fifty in 2013.

sewfunquilts said...

Always great to learn new things ...have fun w it.

Susan In Texas said...

Hi Gene,
Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. Larry loved that you agreed with him about the red; I'm pretty sure that's going to be my final choice, though I'll do another audition after all the blocks are put together.

I once digitized a rosary for a memorial quilt in honor of my Grandfather using the Bernina software. I did NOT find it easy! I have lots of respect for people who can do it well. I think your cat looks terrific. What software are you using?

Barb said...

That is sooooo awesome that you are learning this, soon you will have patterns in Accuquilt site