Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Just a little

Just a little free motion quilting play on solid (not pieced) fabric.
I started doing the blocks in Leah Day's class, Free Motion Quilting a Sampler on solid fabrics.  I did a number of blocks, but not enough to make a quilt. So I decided that when I don't want to start a project and just want to feel the soothing rhythm of sewing, I can make more of these blocks.
This design is my version of McTavishing.  It is not as good as I wanted it.  But each time you quilt, you build your skills a little better.  Perhaps I tried to make my lines too curvy.  I was happy for the most part with my traveling back on a line.  There is some thread build up, which is part of this design in several places. When I was cropping the picture, I thought there was a thread that I neglected to bury and clip. No, it was the thread build up.


Do you have a "go to" that you like to do when you don't have a project?  For now this is my "go to."

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Foolishly posted "hate speech" comments will be swiftly removed.

10 comments:

Marjorie said...

Hi Gene, My go to is usually piecing---yesterday it was nine patch blocks, but any piecing will do so long as there are stacks of cut pieces and I don't have to think. Your free motion is getting better and better--I can't see anything that even looks like a thread to be clipped on this one and your stitching lines are so smooth now.

Jackie's Stitches said...

It looks great Gene! I'm really enjoying watching your progress!

Vicki W said...

For me it's either making postcards or sewing up some charms cut from scraps. I try to keep a pile of HSTs or tumblers that I can work on in bits.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

For me, my go to is counted cross stitch. Your quilting is more amazing with every practice.

Kathleen said...

You did a nice job. I don't have a go-to but I should make these practice blocks my go-to because I have not yet experimented with free motion, and I really should. I know it will frustrate me at first but I feel I will like it.

Beth said...

Wowzer Gene your FMQ is really lookin awesome!!! Looks perfect to me. You inspire me.

Tangos Treasures said...

Great job!!

Barbara said...

Holy moly, I'm dizzy just thinking of trying to do this. And you called it "soothing"! I'm happy you feel that way because you are so talented doing it. I would be challenged, thus stressed. My go to? Probably at this time it's box weaving. Now, that over and under is "soothing" for me. Can't mess it up!

Pat said...

HA! My "go-to" has nothing to do with sewing...it is reading!!! Your FMQ is looking wonderful. What a great idea to do sampler blocks! You are becoming a real expert.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Yes I have a "go to" and it is those with long arms and I don't touch it. Love your hanging in there!

Kelly