Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Quilting...a new project

For those of you that thought weaving was going to replace quilting for me - Take Heart!  I have started another quilting project.  This was inspired in part by Pat Merkle's Layers on Layers quilt.  And partly by a dream/thought in a half awake state. 
I pieced the background and the "flames/tentacles" using a curved piecing technique that is on my YouTube channel called "Wavy Bars Block
The circles I cut out using a plate, a saucer and a small bowl. The larger two I tried to do a turned edge machine applique.  Ha that needs some work! My circles have a few pointy edges.  But not to worry, I may embellish over those anyway.  That is a "let's wait and see" proposition.  This will be an artsy wallhanging.  I am currently planning some heavy quilting on it.  Time will tell.


I also bought some upholstery fabric to use to make a bag for my loom.   There is one you can purchase premade for only $65 plus shipping.  (I don't think so!)  For $5, I got  2 1/4 yards of the upholstery material.  I am sure I can make a suitable bag.
Do you look at items and say "I can make my own for a LOT less"  when you are shopping?  I do it with manufactured goods all the time.   However, when it is handmade, I say "maybe I should support the artist."
Support handmade!

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Foolishly posted "hate speech" comments will be swiftly removed.

9 comments:

Pat Merkle said...

It's wonderful Gene! It will be neat to see how it transforms over time.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Love the colors! I'm looking forward to see what you will do next :)

Average Quilter said...

I'm sure it will be amazing by the time you finish

Rhonda said...

I say that all the time.
Can't wait to see all the pretty quilting you're going to do.

Kathleen said...

I know what you mean about supporting the artist. I have an artist friend (at least I think she's an artist!) who makes beautiful purses and totes and such. I could probably make those too, but she does such a darn nice job, so neat and meticulous, and clever with fabric choices, I'd much rather buy her items!

Barbara said...

It begs for your style of heavy quilting, a separate work of art in itself!

Snoodles said...

Love the start you've made....oh, so familiar! I tell myself that all the time when I look at a big ticket item and think of the places that I know I can get the supplies to make it! :) But I agree, it's nice to support the artisans!

Holee said...

Can you really feel like an artist if only artist's are buying your stuff? When someone tells me they have never made a thing in their life and then buys something from me...then I truly feel like an artist. I can't keep up with your projects...I guess I need some wind blown into my sails! This one is going to be full of color so I'm watching.

Beth said...

I am glad that weaving will not take over, it is pretty, but ya gotta quilt too. Right?
Love the flames. Can't wait to see where it goes.
I do that with things too...say I could make that for less. I usually get an eye roll from one daughter and the other says, yes, we could do that.
Guess it depends on the project. A bag ok a quilt rack, I don'tthink so. ;)