Sunday, September 29, 2013

Adding Sashing -Layout - Playout

Yesterday's blocks have sashing added. A Lefthanded Quilter suggested that I cut up the large block in yesterday's post and make smaller blocks. So I did!.

 I decided to cut strips of white that are 3 1/2" wide to border the colored blocks from yesterday. The previous blocks have random widths of white sashing.  Then - in the floor to fiddle with a layout - or since it is just playing around, perhaps I should call it a "playout." Here is what it looked like.
Chances are very good that this will not be the final layout. some of the sashings will have to be trimmed to size. None of the blocks are a uniform size.  I think that just adds to the interest in this type of quilt. I also have the option of using some pieced fabric to "sash in" to extend a block size. If I put white on each end it will act as another block in the design.  When you play with random piecing like this the possibilities are endless,
As I was doing some of this, I wondered if perhaps I should do a demo explaining how to add the really narrow strips without fussy piecing. It is easier than it looks.
If you missed the post about yesterdays block making, it is here. 
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Foolishly posted "hate speech" comments will be swiftly removed.

12 comments:

Marjorie said...

I love the way this is turning out. You know how I love white or blue/gray sashing. And think what wonderful quilting you can do in the sashing and maybe something very geometric on the blocks.

Barbara Arcement said...

I love the white. It makes the quilt happy and airy and cool...It will be really pretty once you quilt it. I see lots of fun free motion quilting in its future!

Lynn said...

This is looking great Gene!

Pat said...

The white is great with these blocks.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

The white really makes the colors pop! Very nice!!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Gene! - I love the white sashing! Now "what if" you took the bottom block in the photo with you in it - and cut that up into smaller pieces? - Those colors look like they might play nice too - ;))

Tangos Treasures said...

I love it!!

Beth said...

The white really pops out all the wonderful colors pieced into the blocks. Lookin great!

Lorchen said...

Gene, please contact me and/or read TQS forum, the thread about rotary cutters!

Lorchen

SewCalGal said...

Very modern/hip look Gene.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Barbara said...

Loving this, you know! Making it up as you go, and one of a kind. Yay for white!

Bunny said...

Gene, I love the phrase "play out"! That's exactly what I do, but didn't know the correct term. I am going to use that from now on. Thanks! And I love the colors 'playing' with the white. Bunny in IL