Saturday, September 21, 2013

Switching Gears - Patchwork On the Loom

Today I am using a smaller loom. It is a Schacht Cricket 15" rigid heddle loom.  I decided a smaller loom was far more practical for smaller projects. It is also easier to travel with.  Last night I put the warp on the loom. I was planning to do a lovely pattern called (you are going to love this) Log Cabin.  What I didn't do was read the directions again.  Mr. "I'm sure I remember" put the entire warp on the loom the way he thought it should go.  Sigh! Clearly I have read too many weaving patterns and the wrong one stuck.
So instead of a log cabin pattern, I have a plaid that looks like patchwork.

It has light, medium and dark squares.  The medium squares are a combination fo the light and dark threads.  The human eye conveniently mixes the colors for a nice medium shade. The photo doesn't quite match the colors (at least on my monitor it doesn't.) The light is a soft pale green and the dark is a forest green.  I warped it with alternating sets of 4 dark then 4 light.  I am weaving the weft (threads from side to side) with the same 4 dark/4 light pattern. This creates the plaid/patchwork.   The yarn for this is a very soft acrylic. I think this scarf will be nice for a man or a woman.
Have you ever owned a handwoven scarf? What would you consider a reasonable price for one if I put it on Etsy?

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Foolishly posted "hate speech" comments will be swiftly removed.

10 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Well your 'oops' is just beautiful!

Teresa Quilts said...

I agree with Vroomans. Your oops is beautiful! I love it!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Love the color! Of course, green is my favorite. I wish my 'oops' looks as beautiful as yours.

LINDA BYLSMA said...

You are doing fantastically!! Your tension is perfect. I think you were born to be a weaver!

sewyouquilt2 said...

nice oops!t is pretty. I have never owned anything woven so can not help you pricewise. google and see what others are doing.
isn't it fun to have more than one creative outlet?

Wendy said...

I say yay for the oop moments! This one is going to end in a beautiful scarf! Great job. I would see what others are charging and then set the prices accordingly.

Barbara Arcement said...

VERY PRETTY...I LOVE IT

Barbara said...

Fabulous mistake Gene, it's lovely! Price on etsy? I don't have a clue. I'm the wrong one to guess also, since I'm still having fun with my box loom. Takes a long time

Pat said...

I, also, have no clue as to price. It is fine to see what others are charging on sites like Etsy, but.....you also need to know if they are successful at SELLING them for the price they are charging. If their scarves are just sitting there unsold, then they are pricing them too high. (Of course, I also have no idea how you can find out how well their scarves are selling....so, I'm no help here at all!!!) Your scarf is looking lovely....great work!

Beth said...

I have never had a hand woven scarf so no help here either I am afraid.
Your scarf is beautiful,and the colors seems like it is right on my screen. I love how it looks.
I can not trust my memory to remember thingslike yardage and/or instructions. ;)