Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Woven Work

Here is my last piece of weaving.  I really don't have a purpose for it.  So make a suggestion.

It is roughly four feet, four inches long and about 20 inches wide. The fringe is over 6 inches long.
So, now what do I do with it???  I would like for it to be an item that I can sell.  Toss out an idea or two.  If I leave it as a whole piece, should I leave the fringe as is?  Shorten it or maybe knot it into a lacework type pattern?  (like the picture below)

Oh yes. Craftsy has a new class.  I am finding it tempting since I haven't taken a painting class in quite a while.  It is called Water Views - Acrylic Landscapes with Bennett Vadnais.   I love painting in acrylic and in layers of work. Here is an example of the instructor's work.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Foolishly posted "hate speech" comments will be swiftly removed.

13 comments:

Snoodles said...

Perhaps a table runner? It's lovely!

Pat said...

Table runner was what came to my mind, too. I do love the lacy way the fringe is done in that photo you are showing us. For my taste, 6-inch long fringe would be a pain....so I'd prefer it braided/laced...or whatever you wish to call it. The weaving turned out really nice.

Unknown said...

that's a big piece.....love it....and I have no clue what to do with it

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Gene, just send the woven piece to me. I'll use it a year or so and be more than happy to let you know all the ways I can think to use it. Awwwwwww, not going for that? Well, that's ok. It was just a suggestion. :-) lol! It is lovely! I would also use it as a table runner. Bye bye for now. Karen

Holee said...

Your bench told me what I'd do with it. I have that bench and also a matching porch swing. I'd do away with the fringe. I bought a standard sized body pillow at Amazon (20 x 50) for my swing and made a pillow slip for it that closes on the end with velcro. I'd make the shawl into a pillow slip with duck cloth as the backing and use it on either the bench or swing. I'd just cut the duck cloth a little larger in width and length to meet the pillow size.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I thought table runner until I read Holee's comment.

Vicki W said...

It would be a lovely table runner on a country kitchen table.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Looks like a prayer shawl to me.

Weaving, painting, quilting....what next...building amazing buildings?

Giggles,
Kelly

Barbara said...

I agree with the table runner or dresser scarf ideas. It is fabulous, and I LOVE the knotted fringe! I can see that hanging down on the side of a piece of furniture, preferably vintage. :)

Beth said...

So many gtreat ideas.Of course the table runner with knotted fringe is a great choice. I thought of prayer shawl as well. But that pillow idea is a good one too.
It is really lovely.

Linda said...

How beautiful! It doesn't have to have a purpose except to be a beautiful example of workmanship. You could showcase it across the end of a bed, thrown over a chair, or as a table runner. It could be used as a drapery header or you could frame it as an unusual piece of art work. I have a handwoven shawl from Peru that is intended to keep the cold away, but I keep it draped over a chair because it is too special to just put away. Yours fits that category.

Barb said...

Love love love it, you sure are enjoying this and so are your readers.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Beautiful woven work. If you shorten the fringe, it would make a lovely table runner.