Friday, October 04, 2013

Playing with Quilt Designs

Sometimes when in a class or a meeting I doodle quilt block designs. I had an idea for a block so I just had to play with it.   So when I got home, I started up Electric Quilt 7 (aka EQStitch) and drafted the block there.  The great thing about a virtual quilt block is that you can see how it looks without figuring out how to really make the block.

So here is the block I drew and drafted.
I am not sure how to make it in fabric, but I do plan to figure it out.
With this one block, you can make these quilts.
Exotic Pinwheels

See the Pyramids Along the Nile

Confetti Capers

Elongated Spools

Pinwheels and Spinning Stars
I think my favorite is the easiest block layout- "See the Pyramids Along the Nile" but I like them all.
By changing the color scheme you can also change the entire feel of these quilts.
Blue monochrome
violet monochrome
Neutrals                 
Exotic Pinwheels Blue Monochrome 
Okay, I confess: I like the batik versions best. 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Foolishly posted "hate speech" comments will be swiftly removed.

8 comments:

Barbara said...

Me too, batiks work well with this block. I thought of pyramids before reading your text. Amazing fun!

sewyouquilt2 said...

I like the block and the many designs. I would have a hard time making just one.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I like the batiks best also. I haven EQ7 and have never taken the time to play with it. Guess it's about time to do that. Your one block design really works up well into many beautiful quilt possibility.

Kathleen said...

This looks great Gene! It would work out perfectly as a paper pieced block I think.

Pat said...

LOVE the pyramid one!!! I've not played with my EQ7 in ages now. Maybe I'll look at it again over the winter. (AND...you are terrific at naming quilts!!!)

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful block Gene and it looks pretty easy to put together! Makes some great quilts!

Vicki W said...

I like that a lot! It would be fun to play with in my palette. We'll, fun for me. :-)

Beth said...

How many wonderful possibilities with just one block. My favorite is the pyramids too.