Monday, October 07, 2013

A Quilt Block and a Woven Work

Sunday evening I tried making one of the blocks that I drafted.  I decided that I will not be making enough of them to make a quilt. It requires paper piecing and that is not one of my favorite techniques.  So I added a couple of borders to the block and will use it in another quilt later.



After that I pulled out some nice rayon yarn that I had gotten. I put it on the small loom as warp thread.  Honestly I had some doubts about it.  But I carried on and started weaving.  Monday night (which is when I am writing this) I actually finished weaving the scarf.   I was surprised at how fast the weaving progressed with this yarn. Here are some pictures of the finished product draped over the loom. 


This scarf has a lovely sheen that doesn't show up well in these pictures.  The color is a lovely warm brown.  It is slightly over 8 inches wide and 64 inches long not including the fringe.  Because it is rayon it will not be particularly warm, but it will be a lovely decorative neck wrap. 

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Foolishly posted "hate speech" comments will be swiftly removed.

5 comments:

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Your block turned out great! I personally love paper piecing.
The scarf is amazing!!

Pat said...

I, too, enjoy paper-piecing, although I've not done it in awhile. The scarf is very nice...such a classic look to it with that yarn.

Barbara said...

Paper piecing can produce amazing results, but it's not my favorite either. Perhaps it just takes practice, but I have trouble thinking backwards.
The rayon produced a lovely silky scarf. I'll try any kind of yarn as long as it doesn't stretch. I'm giving my new box loom a good try, results soon. One thing for sure, if speed was my goal, I'd have a heddle loom by now! LOL

Vicki W said...

You have already mastered the loom!

Beth said...

I know what you mean about paper piecing. It is too slow for me. But I sure do love the results.
The rayon scarf is lovely, it does look very silky. Perfect for a 'dressy' event.