Sunday, October 06, 2013

FMQ - at it again

Yesterday I worked on the MultiStrip quilt that will be donated along with several others to the Quilt Angels project. You still have time to make a quilt for this and get it sent in.  The "get it to us" deadline is December 12th.
I finished quilting my MultiStrip quilt and it is ready to be trimmed and bound.
Front (Upside down - oops)
The back is pieced.  The solid brown shows the free motion quilting nicely, but the blue hides it a bit too well.

Here are some detail shots of the blue part of the back quilting.

I had fun playing with different designs on each strip.

There is a container of blocks for a quilt as you go quilt sitting near my machine.  So I decided to lay them out and see how many more I need to make a quilt.  I decided I need at least twice as many.  So I made one more for that stack also.
I divided the space using lines similar to my quilt block design from my Friday night post.  Then I quilted each section.  There is a "mistake" on this that when I made it, I considered ripping it out.  I am glad I didn't. I can hardly find it myself at this point.
Quilting this type of block is a lot like making a Zentangle with thread instead of a marker.  It is fun and artistic.  Plus doing them this way it is far easier to quilt than wrestling a big quilt in a domestic machine. Only eleven more to go and I can join them into a quilt.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

7 comments:

Holee said...

I love to look at the heavy quilting. It's also good practice and you can see your improvement. But for me I like a large open quilting on a bed quilt. I want to feel the softness of the fabric, not the stiff thread. I like to use the heavy quilting on wall hangings, place mats and that type of item. But that's just me. Most people enjoy the quilting and use the quilt for a bed cover not for snuggling.

I was hoping to get a quilt made for your project but right now it doesn't look like I'll be able to do it with all the medical stuff that came up. I'll be spending most of the up coming week in Pittsburgh. All the traveling and appointments doesn't allow much time for sewing.

Marjorie said...

The strip quilt is nice, but the QAYG block really sings. I love that kind of quilting even though it takes a lot of time when doing a whole quilt at once.

Barbara said...

The multi strip is gorgeous, love those popping colors! Incredible FMQ...no mistakes there for me.

Barb said...

You are having such fun over there, looks great!

Pat Merkle said...

Awesome quilting Gene!!! You just keep getting better and better!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Where are the "little people"...giggles.
Kelly

Beth said...

You are really mastering that FMQ. Love the block, probably cause I can see all the great quilting.
Quilt on!