Monday, October 14, 2013

Scarves - on and off the loom

One of my kind readers asked to see the blue scarf that I made using the warp that I demonstrated a few days ago.  Interestingly, that scarf was finished pretty fast.
This is made with an acrylic yarn that is very soft.  I put some lace work at each end.   That inspired the next one I made.  It is a pale green rayon that has lots of shine.
Here it is draped over the loom.   I did the same lace type pattern along each long edge for this scarf.  Here is a close up. 
Doing this causes the plain weave to be looser. Thus the scarf is more like lace and is lighter.  
That inspired the one I am now working on. This is also rayon and is in a lovely gold tone. The shimmer on this is gorgeous.  
I did a two inch plain weave header at the beginning and will repeat it at the end for stability.  The rest is worked in the lace pattern.  It is a bit more work than the plain weave, but it is still quite meditative.  Here is a close up. 
It really looks like spun gold, don't you think? The color is actually called "Midas."  I can imagine this with a dark turquoise or burgundy or even black dress.  It would certainly accent those beautifully. 

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. 

12 comments:

Debbie said...

Wow, Gene! I've never seen lace made on a loom. (Shows how ignorant I am about weaving, LOL!) Your work is beautiful!

Marjorie said...

That is stunning. And of course, you're taking it up to the next level. The gold one would be gorgeous as a shawl for an evening event like a Christmas party.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Absolutely Stunning!

Susan said...

Oh wow! These are beautiful! I'm knitting a lace scarf right now...looks like you have me beat 3 to 1! LOL!

Barbara said...

Gorgeous! Especially like these that shimmer! I can't imagine how lacework is done on a loom, but I will research that for my own hand-loom weaving. However, it will not be posted on my blog until 2015 at least! LOL!

Vicki W said...

The scarves are really beautiful!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I didn't know you could do openwork patterns on a loom. They are beautiful.

Beth said...

I did not know that could be done on a loom either. Of course I should have known that you would not do just simple woven items. The lace pattern is just stunning! I am in awe. Really. The gold is really so very elegant.

Pat said...

These lacy scarves are wonderful, Gene! (And I am sure you figured that out all on your own......you creative devil!!!)

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

All three scarves are amazing. I think you are a born weaver.

Snoodles said...

Your work is beautiful! Love that gold, especially...you are so creative!

SewCalGal said...

Great job Gene. This is definitely an heirloom piece that will be cherished thru many generations. I love it.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com