Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A Big Block and a Work in Black and White

Monday night I spent some time  doing free-piecing with scraps from various other blocks.  I just kept going until I had this:
It measures just a tiny bit under 16 inches square.  I have no particular plan for it, but I am sure it will find a place in a quilt someday.

I have become addicted to  the show "Once Upon a Time" which I am watching on Netflix. I love a good fairytale and this show weaves them all together into a very interesting story. I am up to episode 20 of season one.  I believe there are two seasons on Netflix and that the 3rd season is currently airing.  However, I don't have cable, satellite or antenna reception so I can't watch television. That was a choice I made about a year ago. I have been quite  happy with that choice.  The money saved from the satellite bill is used for supplies. The time saved is used for sewing and weaving.

Speaking of weaving, I put a new start on the loom tonight (Wednesday.)  I am doing a scarf in black and white.  The black has a subtle glitter.  The white has a golden thread in the yarn.  I think this will be a lovely piece.   I am doing it in the same lace pattern as the gold scarf.  However, since it is a fuzzier yarn the look is a bit different.

I hope it turns out as lovely as I think it will.

Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Foolishly posted "hate speech" comments will be swiftly removed.

10 comments:

Debbie said...

The white yarn IS very nice and the piece is turning out beautiful. If I wind up unable to resist and must buy a loom, I'll be blaming it on you, Gene!

Pat said...

Great idea to do a black and white scarf. I'm sure you could sell many of them!

sandiqltr said...

I love your Improv block. It has inspired me to get yet another project going. LOL

Pat Merkle said...

Love the block and the weaving!

Vicki W said...

What's the fiber content of the yarns in the black and white scarf? I might need that one.

Lynn said...

Love your improv block! It is a great start for something. I am looking forward to having more "play time" sewing to do some improv piecing too.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

The colors in your block pop! The new weaving is beautiful. You are very smart to have given up satellite.

The Slow Quilter said...

I love the scarf in black and white what a great skill you have in doing it. Love the block also. I have been watching One Upon A Time also, an now watching the 3rd season. Do you Know they also have a Once Upon Time for Alice and Wonderland that started this season? If I stop trying to catch all the new shows I might get back to the sewing room and blogging.

Kathleen said...

You are going great guns on that loom Gene! Nice job. And good on you for your TV abstinence, but I just can't believe you don't even have antenna reception - is it that you can't get reception or you just don't want it?

Beth said...

Improv block...where will that beauty go?

Weaving, the black and white is classic elegance. I love the two colors together. Another dressy look.