Friday, October 25, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival -Horse of a Different Color

The Blogger's Quilt Festival has begun and I am placing my quilt in the Art Quilt Category.
Horse of a Different Color
8 1/2" by 12 1/2"
This small art quilt was made when I was inspired by looking at quilt stencils. Quite often my brain jumps into "what if...." mode.  The background was made well over a year before this quilt was conceived. The background is woven and fused to a layer of batting.
I drew up the horse stencil and resized it until it fit on the background. I cut out the pieces from a piece of hand-dyed fabric with fusible on the back side.  Yes, some of those pieces are tiny!  When I was cutting the small pieces I realized that it would have been easier to work on a larger scale.
After fusing the pieces onto the background, I free-motion stitched each piece into place to add an outline, but also to further secure it.
The background is free motion quilted to loosely echo the horse. I bound this with a fused binding. A decorative stitch further secures the frame and adds color and dimension to the framing.
This piece is mounted on board with a "frame" piece behind it to hold it away from the wall.

Be sure to go to Amy's Creative Side and visit the Blogger's Quilt Festival for lots of eye candy and inspiration for your own quilts. Just click the banner below.  Or to see the Art Quilt category click HERE

AmysCreativeSide



Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.
Craftsy

15 comments:

The Slow Quilter said...

That is a wonderful piece, I love the colors and the horse. That will go off big on the Festival. Great creative job.

Pat said...

You are WAY too talented, my friend!!! LOL

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Your little quilt is amazing! Being so artistic is such a blessing - something I wish I had more of.

Beth said...

I love that horse. And the woven background. And the decorative stitching that "frames" it. Such a cool piece.

Barbara said...

I remember this horse in the past, but I'm sure it is way different now. I love the movement of this piece!

What Comes Next? said...

this is a very cool piece - I like the woven background and your horse stencil idea was an excellent "what if???"

Katy Cameron said...

It's funny how looking at things can spark off whole new ideas that are nothing like what the original thing was meant for!

Barb said...

that is one awesome quilt

Heather Pregger said...

Beautiful! I love it!

CitricSugar said...

Another lovely entry, Gene!

Jackie said...

Love your horse Gene!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Ride with the wind! Just beautiful Gene!

Patricia said...

Great looking horse.

JanetK said...

Lovely piece of art!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a beautiful piece Gene! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday