Monday, October 27, 2014

Backing Up - Quilty Post

Yes, that title says "Quilty Post" - I have finally gotten some work done on a quilt. Or rather the backing for a quilt.

I realized that I had not pieced the backing for the third section of the Wonky Squares quilt. So I decided to get that done today - and I did.

I wanted some pieced block in this section.  So I decided to use the half square triangle method I showed a few posts back. I took the largest square ruler I own and cut two large squares of fabric.  I used my Lapel Stick glue to hold the corners together.  I could have pinned them, but I am so bad about sticking myself that it is almost funny.  One of my friends who has sat and visited while I sew laughs when I jump and says "Didn't you know that those pins are sharp?"  or "When are you going to get it in your head that those pins will bite you?" So I use the no bite'em method.  My fingers appreciate it.

I thought I would show some of the trimming and tell you how I do the trimming.  The ruler I used to cut the original squares is 16 1/2 inches. So the HSTs will trim out to 11 inches.   Most good quilt rulers have a diagonal line.  So I line this line up on the seam. and get as close to the edges as I can in the first corner.

I check to see that the 11 inch lines are within the fabric edges.
As you can see I have about a fourth of an inch leeway.
Then I trim those two sides. I rotate the block and line up the edges on the 11 inch lines and be sure that the diagonal is lined up as well.
I trim the remaining two sides and have a perfect HST block.
Since this method makes four blocks, I combined them into a big block  to use in the backing.  Now I will be able to layer and quilt the third section of this quilt.
Pieced backing part three.



My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Ohers will appreciate this detailed tutorial, but I am number (and ruler) challenged! ;) I'm sure it works well though.

Barb said...

Thanks for the tut!!!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks for the reminder to make the backings for all of the quilt tops in my collection. I may tackle that after I get all of my scraps under control - ;))