Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Sewing my handwoven fabric

This morning was rainy and gloomy.  The rain stopped but it is still gloomy here.  I decided to brighten up my day.  Did I mention that it was chilly this morning?  Well, it was and that helped to inspire me.

As I sat thinking that I would have to get dressed or turn up the heat, I had a thought.  I have several pieces of fabric that I have woven that I want to use to make clothing.  I read that ponchos are coming into fashion again.  It is probably for women that this is true but I decided "Big Deal! I have never had a poncho"   So I took my fabric and started looking at it (and yes fondling it.)
I tried one fabric but it didn't seem right to me.
So I took some fabric that I wove using an orange colored warp and tried it.



Oh yes, I do like that fabric for this idea.
So I decided which parts I wanted to be on the front of the poncho and started working on it. Every seam is a simple straight seam and there are only four seams  in the garment.  This is my kind of garment sewing.  I didn't have a pattern or instructions, but I had seen a picture and was sure I could do it.
It looks like I succeeded!




My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger" - I can not reply.

11 comments:

Barb said...

What an awesome model you are, love the poncho!!

Marlene said...

It looks fabulous, and not at all feminine. Good job!

Valerie said...

Very nice! Did you have to finish the seams to keep them from raveling?

Susan said...

I love it!

Barbara said...

A penchant for something warm on a chilly morning and a beautiful Saori woven piece...who needs a pattern?! It's perfect. I only can wonder how hard it was to make the first cut into that piece. You looked so relaxed wearing it, so retired!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

It looks GREAT! - That "orange" piece is one of my favorites! - And I agree with Barbara - it must have been hard to cut into that piece - but the end result was SO worth it - ;))

Beth said...

Looking good Gene. Looks comfy, cozy, and fashionable.

Kathleen said...

That looks good on you!! If I'm correct, I think all the long seams are already finished because they would be the long edges of the woven piece. But what about the bottom part (without the fringe), how did you finish that part so the weave doesn't come undone?

Patti Williams said...

Good job!

I crocheted the girls little ponchos last week.

kathyinozarks said...

I really love your fabric-and your garment turned out so nice too

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

What an amazing transformation from a swath to a cover-up, warm, fashionable, gorgeous, handmade garment. You are astonishing and I am so very glad I found your blog.