Monday, November 03, 2014

Around the World Blog Hop

Lynn at Alamosa Quilter tagged me in the Around the World Blog Hop.  I am supposed to answer four questions and tag someone else to carry on the blog hop.

So let's start with those questions.

1. What are you currently working on?  I have several projects in progress most of the time. At this time I have a weaving in progress.  There is also a baby quilt and a large quilt that has been in progress for quite some time.  I am also working on a "secret" project that you will see next week.  I also have fabric that I have woven which will eventually become something.  And I am also spinning wool and cotton for use in my weaving.

How does my work differ from others of its genre?  I will answer this with another question "Does it differ?"  I have been surprised by people telling me that they recognize my work. I suspect that my sense of color makes it a bit different.  My color sense has been developing for years. It became much stronger and more defined when I started painting and took art classes.  I suppose that my 'artistic license' in sewing and making things also plays into it.

Why do I create what I do?  This is my favorite question.  You see, I have a deep philosophy about creativity.  But rather than go on and on, I will give you a very condensed version.
------- I believe we are created beings.  I also believe that we are created in the image of a Creator. Therefore, how can I not be creative?  That is why I create.  Creativity is a vital part of my being.  It goes all the way to my core.
----But why do I create the things that I create?  Part of it is from a deep history.  Both of my grandmothers were quilters. I am carrying on a tradition.  One grandmother made quilts expressly for the purpose of keeping her family warm.  The other made pretty quilts with hand embroidered appliqué.   From an even deeper history comes the spinning and weaving.  I know that my Cherokee ancestors did both - as my Irish and English ancestors may have done also.  However, I first fell in love with yarn in my early adolescent years. A neighbor lady was crocheting and I showed interest so much that she decided to teach me how to crochet.  I have crocheted many things over the years. And  so, when I started weaving I already had a small stash of yarn to start with.

How does my creative process work?  That is a complete mystery to me. I get ideas and try to accomplish them.  But sometimes the work speaks louder than I do and it becomes something different.  In the Saori philosophy of weaving we try to weave without intention. This means that we weave cloth without planning for what it will become.  This is a great way to free creativity.

Since everyone likes pictures in a blog post, here are some pictures of things I am working on and have created.

Quilt (still in progress at this writing) and Woolen Scarf containing some yarn that I spun. 

Woven work in progress

Another section of a woven work in progress
I am tagging A Left Handed Quilter to carry forward the "Around the World Blog Hop"



My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

7 comments:

Marjorie said...

Gene, I love your work--and your answer about how your creative process works. The quilt is beautiful, but the weaving is also wonderful. I love the way you put the colors together in your weaving. So glad you decided to become a weaver as well as a quilter.

Barbara said...

Very nice! I could have guessed you would work color in there, that is one of your signatures for me. The other is improvisation, to do with no plan. I can relate to being free to create with no plan (although I'm not as free with color).

Pat said...

You are one of the first bloggers I "met" (both online and then, happily, also in person). You have a wonderfully creative mind and I always enjoy looking at the things you make. Now that you are retired, I am happy to know you have a lot more time to work on your projects. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on creativity.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

GREAT post, Gene!! And THANKS for tagging me - I will "carry forward" next week - ;))

Lynn said...

Great post Gene! I really love your weaving!

kathyinozarks said...

I enjoyed your post Gene

Sarah said...

ooooh I love the woven wip!