Saturday, October 04, 2014

Play Time - Half-square Triangles

After seeing that Wanda at Exuberant Color  had made a few half-square triangle blocks, I decided to make a few and play with them.  I conveniently made them the same size as my blocks for the Charming Batik squares.   I will probably use them in that project to add another shape to the mix.

But today, I used my blocks to play with layouts.

Squares on point. 

Zipper (my name for this one as I don't know what it is called) 

Pinwheels
There are multiple ways you can do a layout using half square triangles.
I found the image below from a computer programmer who used PERL (programming language) to make symmetrical blocks.
You can also make non-symmetrical blocks...  Imagine the possibilities.  Now don't you want to make some half-square triangle blocks and play?

My blog is http://blog.geneblack.com
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible unless otherwise stated.

11 comments:

Rhonda said...

HSTs have so many possibilities as you've shown on your post. Can't wait to see what you've got in mind.

Barbara said...

Many years ago I was coordinator of our church quilt guild. The entire quilt was hand-pieced so it was necessary to use simple block components. I decided we would use HSTs, but little did I know how much time we would spend deciding on a block and quilt layout. I think it took a couple entire morning sessions as we played with them like kids. Fun!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I hadn't seen that chart of symmetrical blocks made with triangles. I'm going to have to study it and see if there is some inspiration for my project.

Petit Design Co. said...

I have a whole file in EQ dedicated to half square triangles! They are so fun. Except for the trimming!

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

I love how you played with your HST, now I'm inspired to get my red and yellows out, but I need to add a third color. That's a wonderful chart, I saw one in a recent magazine (earlier this year I think) that's very helpful. ALSO... I had almost every HST combination saved in my EQ library but I lost them when my PC died and I had to reload the program.

JJ said...

My family quilters just did a block called basket of chips that uses lots of half square triangles. http://www.quilterscache.com/B/BasketofChipsBlock.html

Sharlee said...

I love how you put them all !!

Barb said...

I have gotten to where I love this block....thanks for showing all of the wonderful ways it can be done.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

HST are SO FUN!! I used a lot of them when I made my LHQSQ - Left-Handed Quilter Sampler Quilt. I was amazed at the number of combinations that I found in EQ7 for a simple nine-patch - ;))

Beth said...

it is fun to play with HST. So many choices.

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

The most versatile block of all time, is my decidedly unprofessional opinion. I love their versatility, so many ways to lay them out; such diversity in the final layout, who doesn't love to play with the little buggers ?~!