Saturday, January 04, 2020

How I Decided - Bargello



The bargello is now  a completed top.  Although after it is quilted I will add side borders on it,  That will add a drop on the sides of the bed.

So how did I decide?   Honestly the W2, classic type bargello got the most votes - and I liked it best because it was classic.  But, in the early morning, just awakened moments,  I had a realization.  The seams are pressed to nest for ease of construction.   Would the nest in that configuration?

Image result for question mark

That was the big question. After breakfast, I laid it out on the bed.  In the W2 configuration,  the seams would be laying on top of each other. That would make for a lumpy seam line in the center of the quilt AND be difficult to match up.

Thus,  option 3, Kissin' Cousins won the game toss.

You will not be surprised that when I took it outside to hang and photograph,  the wind kicked up.  But I managed to get a fairly decent photo. I am very happy with how well I matched up the seams.
There are a couple of tiny  places where it doesn't quite match.  This is not a show quilt because I don't do show quilting.  So, it is just fine.  FYI,  I have never given a quilt to anyone who mentioned a seam not matching. And If I do, that person will never get another quilt from me. (ha ha.)

Now this will sit a few days (or more) until I have the opportunity to get it layered and basted. Then I will quilt this section.

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 
Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

10 comments:

Dot Moore said...

Gene, that is a beautiful quilt. I have the books and fabric for a bargello and just not the nerve to start cutting and piecing. But one day, I will just jump in and make a start. thanks for sharing yours.

Frog Quilter said...

Beautiful as always. Your top shines.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It is so striking and that was a good idea to check the pressing sequence to see how the last seam would end up. I'm with you on gifting, if there is ever a negative comment from the recipient they are off my gifting list forever.

Barbara said...

Who would have thought there was more to consider (seams) other than the one you liked most?! I like your choice especially because I see a face in it! :)

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Perfect choice!! - Those seams DO matter when you go to sew it together - and I'm glad you thought to check before committing to one design. I agree with you on the negative comments from recipients - I received a couple through the years - and decided that if they ever wanted another quilt - they could make it themselves - LOL - ;))

Pamela Arbour said...

It is beautiful, Gene. I am convinced that all of our quilts have some sort of "wind energy" in them which causes the wind to blow as soon as you get it in the right place for the picture! LOL

Debbie said...

Perfect design for you. The answer was just waiting for you to find it:)

Quilting Gail said...

Hi Gene!
I love how you ultimately chose which design! A practical choice! Love it!
Now, you just need to decide how you're going to quilt it!
Happy Quilting! :-)
Gail

For the love of geese said...

It's beautiful Gene. I had to chuckle while reading your post and wonder what I would do if a receiver complained about seams not matching. Be an indian giver I suppose would work for me. Congrats on the finish.

Sandra Walker said...

Ooh! Just lovely! With nesting seams, it is (mostly) a breeze to match up seams and yours are fan-tabulous. I totally KNOW on the early waking moments being a time of great clarity and inspiration. The mind is still... Can't wait to see this beauty quilted, and yep, not a person has every commented about matchy, or non, seams and I'm with you on the okay bye, attitude if they dared!