Monday, January 20, 2020

Side Stepping

The Night Sky quilt is coming along, but I needed/wanted a break to do a couple of other projects.

I have gifted each member of our Spanish class with a quilted notebook cover and notebook.  But we recently got a new member who actually taught Spanish in public school.  She is helping us greatly.  So, of course, I needed to make a notebook for her also.

This will be her notebook.
I found a pre-pieced cover for it in my "chunk" bin. 
That piece was layered with batting and quilted.
Then it was cut to size. 
The interior lining and the end covers were added and sewn-
along with a pen pocket and a label.
Here is the entire outside of the cover.
I had a lot of fun quilting this piece.
And here is the inside front cover showing 
the pen pocket and the label.
I could not resist using the apple fabric.
I hope you get the symbolism 
but if not:
An apple for the teacher! 

I also pulled a warp that I had premade from the shelf and put it on my loom.
I could not resist starting to weave on it.
The weft thread (the one that goes side to side) is a thread that I space dyed 
some time in the past.  This warp seemed to be the perfect place to use it. 
This picture is probably more accurate in color

The weft thread is only red, blue, and purple, with spots of white where the skein was tied.  However, there is orange in the warp. Where the red sections cross the orange in the warp, the orange seems to intensify.

I am loving this fabric so far.  Of course, there will not be enough of the space-dyed yarn to do the entire length of the warp (it is six meters.)  I will try to use other weft yarns that  stay in the color family of the warp - but I make no promises. Ha ha.  Sometimes my muse has other ideas.

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

7 comments:

Marti said...

I love your loom! What do you do with the piece when you are finished?

Karen said...

The weaving is gorgeous, Gene! I love the colours you have chosen. What will you make from this? (or maybe you wait until it's finished and it tells you what it wants to be...?)

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Love your quilted notebook (being the proud owner of several of your past creations) - and I think the "apple" fabric was the perfect addition for the teacher. Your weaving is beautiful - I love the colors you're using - as always! And it took me a while - but I finally figured out how to remember which one is the "warp" and which one is the "weft" - the wEFT goes from lEFT to right - LOL - ;))

Barbara said...

I have a GB original notebook cover as well! Your new friend will treasure it and use it well. I will follow to see what is made from your woven fabric, it’s lovely!

Quilting Gail said...

Hi Gene,
I love your book cover! SEW clever to put in the little pocket. And yes, I did get the apple symbolism!
The weaving is very cool! It is neat to see how the various colours go together! Very pretty!
quilting gail

Kathleen said...

The book cover is terrific. That weaving makes my heart sing!I look forward to seeing where your muse leads on this piece!

Marlene said...

Your muse is flitting around from one thing to another like a happy little butterfly. I do hope you are having fun. So nice to have an assortment of hobbies to occupy your time and your mind.