Wednesday, January 08, 2020

New Fabric -on the loom

Sometimes, I need a diversion from one form of creation. At these times, I simply switch to another form and work in a different format.   I am still doing fiber art, but this time I am creating the fabric from string.

A while back I put a warp on the loom as a challenge for myself.  I was going to weave a somewhat neutral fabric.  I wove almost two yards before I was longing to do bright colors.  I wanted fabric that was more interesting.   I cut that fabric from the loom, preserving the remainder of the warp so that I could continue to weave on it.

And I did weave and weave - and I am still weaving on it.  

A long stretch of cloth

Close up at the current location where I am weaving now.  
I hope you see those pieces of fabric trimmings that I added in as the weaving progressed.
I save my quilt block trimmings and thin scraps to use for this.
Batiks work best. 
Color changes are always fun.


Purple, aqua and red on this yellow/tan/ grayed purple warp
I will certainly be back to quilting soon. In fact, there is fabric arriving today for my next project. And the bargello is ready to layer, baste and then be quilted. Not to mention the 3 or more tops that are languishing on my shelves.....

Oh, perhaps you are wondering what I will do with this cloth I am weaving.  The simple answer is that I don't know yet.  When it is done, I will wait for inspiration. I hope the cloth will tell me what it wants to be. 

Hmmm.....so you want to see the neutral fabric?   Fair enough. 
It has a decided yellow cast but that was expected since I chose a couple of yellows to use in the warp.  Perhaps it will be a nice vest for someone.

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

6 comments:

For the love of geese said...

Something I have wanted to try but never given the op. And yes, I was wondering what you were going to do with all that. Guess I'll have to stay tuned.

Sandra Walker said...

Oh, this is just gorgeous Gene! I love them both. One of my very dear friends from Alberta is a weaver. I love the pops of batik in there! I found a work-around for my being blocked from commenting on blogger blogs: I switch to Firefox to read blogs now!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Oooh - pretty!! I love the pop of the batiks and especially love the neutral one - very subtle and the yellow makes it sing!! - ;))

Barbara said...

Beautiful all, but I’m not surprised you had to have more color. It almost defines you!

Pamela Arbour said...

Love it. My question is, can you cut it up without it fraying too much?

Debbie said...

Very very beautiful! I love your touch and voice in your weaving. The neutral is grand and would be a great shawl. So love the mixed colors and like the unexpected fabric bits.