Sunday, June 28, 2020

Just Loafing

Many years ago I learned to make bread while I was unemployed.   Back then I was skinny and not diabetic.   I fell in love with freshly baked bread. The smell of it cooking fills the house. That first piece while it is still warm is so comforting to the soul. 

I wanted to bake bread again but I need to limit the carbs for my diabetic diet.  So I decided to try changing a recipe.   I took a recipe for a smaller batch of crusty artisan bread and swapped 3/4 cup of the flour for raw almond flour (coarser than the blanched almond flour) in it.  It worked well and baked up beautifully.  The big question was what will it do to my blood sugar? 
The fact is that I couldn't resist eating it.  But,  it is much more filling than other bread - so I didn't eat as much.  My blood sugar was in my normal range the day after.   That loaf slowly dwindled down. 

When I started the dough for the second loaf, I realized that my supply of raw almond flour was insufficient for the batch.  Like any good improvisational cook/artist  I added enough blanched almond flour to equal it -slightly less since  the finer grind weighs more per volume.

This morning I cooked it off.  I smelled heavenly baking.   When the timer went off, I checked and found that it was done.  The hollow "thump" test is a nice way to do that. 

It looks lovely cooling on the rack.

I did take a photo of the previous loaf also.

As you can see my technique is improving. 
What are your favorite comfort foods or activities?  One thing I have learned over the years is that baking is as much of an art as painting a portrait or a landscape. The results are usually quicker.  While some would say they don't last as long, I say they do if you overindulge!


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

6 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

I have been using almond flour to make bread. I have hypoglycemia and must limit my carbs. Good job on the bread. If I make bread I will eat all of it lol.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Well done - you're making me hungry! - LOL - ;))

Kathleen said...

Looks delish and a great way to lower the carbs but yet have something you enjoy.

Quilting Gail said...

Your loaves look delicious! And, I'm sure your house smells wonderful!
When I bake bread, I make sure I go for an hours walk right after it comes out of the oven. That limits the fresh bread/melted butter / eat half a loaf situation! :-)

Enjoy!

Barb said...

Looks sooo yummy... I looked at the price of Almond flour, it is crazy high but since it is only you it probably isn't so bad.

Jeanna said...

The bread looks amazing, Gene. I'm glad you found a way to make it so it doesn't cause you any health issues and still tastes good.