Tuesday, June 09, 2020

Using up the "off cuts"

The bento box quilt top is still waiting to be quilted.  I need a day to go outside and spray baste it.  For now it is either "too hot" or "too wet" - neither of which inspires me to get going.  

I was answering a comment on one of my YouTube videos, when in the side bar, there was a video from one of my internet friends.  The video is a quilt as you go zipper pouch.    After answering the comment, I watched the video.   

Typically I am not fond of this type of quilt as you go  for quilts, it leaves a baggy backing.  But for  the outside of a pouch - or maybe for a notebook cover - it is fine as you do a separate lining anyway. 

So, I took the leftover ends of the pieced jelly roll strips from making the Bento Box quilt.  I grabbed a leftover strip of batting and started. 

These are  pieces that could have easily been thrown away.  But I hate to waste supplies, so they were still in a pile.   I started sewing the pieces onto the batting following the general idea of the video.  Finally the entire piece of batting was covered.  I then quilted it more using straight-ish lines.   It was trimmed up into one long strip that was roughly 6 1/4" by 28".  That was cut into fourths making four 6 1/4" by 7"  pieces.  Those pieces were used to make the zipper pouches with some of the zippers I bought in Mexico. 

You may have noticed that on the one with the lavender zipper, I used a green zipper pull for a little extra pop of color.  I will use these as little gifts or gift bags for small presents.  They are not perfect but they are cute and sweet.  Zipper pouches are always useful for storing small items.

Do you do zippers?  Or are you just a bit afraid of them?  I used to be afraid of them. But once I saw how easy it can be, I love using them in pouches and simple "flat construction."

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

11 comments:

Vicki W said...

Great use of the scraps!

Frog Quilter said...

Love the little zipper bags.

Pamela Arbour said...

Great job! You quickly sewed up your leftovers and made 4 small gifts. Wonderful! I did notice the green pull on the lavender zippers and wondered about that. Thanks for answering before I asked!

Barbara said...

I didn’t avoid zippers when I did sewing, but only managed a few. They came out OK, and even held up! The bags you made are wonderful!

piecefulwendy said...

Zippy pouches are one of my go to projects when I need a quick gift. They are so simple, and quick to make. Once you've made one, they aren't so intimidating, right? I love the idea of changing out the color of the zipper pull! What a great way to use up those leftover schnibbles too!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Cute zipper pouches. I've done several zippers, but they always make me hesitate.

Sandra Walker said...

I lvoe zippy pouches too, and like you, I hate waste, so yep have made a few with leftovers. These are really bright and happy and I do like the lavender zipper pop!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Wonderful use of scraps - and cute little zipper pouches! I haven't done a zipper in years - but have been meaning to make some pouches - thanks for the reminder - ;))

Jeanna said...

Those zipper pouches ARE cute and sweet. Perfect use for leftover cut offs. I'm not afraid of zippers but rarely have an opportunity to use them in sewing. I do need some pouches and I recently noticed my daughter can use a pen / pencil bag...hmmmm.

~Laurie~ said...

Hi Gene! I stopped by the blog the other day to comment - the day you posted the beautiful veggie pictures. I wrote a long note to you that day and then somehow I deleted the comment. ARGH! Anyway, I used to comment regularly when quilting blogs were everywhere - about 10-15 years ago. I even had a blog (it’s fun to look back at what I was doing). I still follow you through BlogLovin. I haven’t commented in awhile. I do still enjoy seeing what you create in your life. You’ve taken us on a nice journey ❤️ Oh, now I remember- I had wanted to tell you that day that you did a great job on your Mom’s hair! Take care Gene - it’s nice to “see” you here.

Sue said...

Your zippered pouches are cute. The way you quilted them makes me think of mid-century modern art. I enjoy making zippered pouches, but don't do it often enough to remember how to do it without following a tutorial.