Thursday, June 18, 2020

Painting Exercise - Palette Knives

My friend, Barbara, paints with palette knives and I like what she does with them, so I ordered a set - they were inexpensive.  In the class I am taking we were given the instruction to paint with colors we don't normally use and to use tools we don't normally use.  Since I have rarely used palette knives and they had just come in, I thought that was perfect.    I decided to do a nice serene landscape, with a little barn in a field.  Ha!  The best laid plans.......

I chose some colors and started on a 5" by 7" canvas that I already had. My first shock was that I could not seem to get the paint to behave with the knives. (This is a skill that I may need to learn.) The colors didn't seem to play that well together either.  I chose three primaries. Red -red oxide.  Blue - Fluorescent Blue. Yellow - Yellow Ochre.  I added a Bright Aqua Green to the mix along with Black, White and Titan Buff (a light tan.)  I painted on and scrapped off.  I felt some frustration and I really really wanted to just use my brushes.  But, I was following the directions - because I do want to find new joy in painting. 
I reached a point where I was ready to walk away and let it dry.  But a little niggling voice in the back of my head kept saying "You could collage a little bit on that horizon line."    When I was straightening up the area to start painting I had moved some things and saw some painted papers that I had created at some time in the past for collage.  The fact is, I almost never collage in my work. That played right into the lesson, so I did it.   When I started putting down the collage pieces, I got excited.  I went a while longer and this is the result for now.  I see a couple of minor corrections I want to make, but I like it.



Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

7 comments:

Barbara said...

Now I think I might want to collage on a palette knife abstract too. Especially since I am almost never successful with structures like barns.I don’t see any needed changes on this, and you know I really like it!

Frog Quilter said...

Like your painting. I can see a whole new addiction starting. Go Gene!

Pamela Arbour said...

Very nice. Thanks for sharing the experience

Marlene said...

What do you use for your collage pieces Gene? I'd like to try adding paper and cloth to my efforts but I don't know what is acceptable. Louise mentions some sort of gloss medium. Is that what you use? I'm wondering if Mod Podge is a big no no? I have easier access to that at the moment.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

SO much better than a little barn in a field - and I can't imagine what you would want to change - ;))

Marie said...

Hi Gene, I really like your painting. I have no talent in that department! Hope your staying well. Take care. Hugs,Marie

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have always loved looking at palette knife paintings. In my town we used to have a really active art league and one of our most talented artists was always so perfect and detailed. Her brother challenged her to loosen up and paint something fast with palette knives. I bought that painting and still have it above my fireplace.