Friday, August 07, 2020

Canning Day

Thursday was a Canning Day for me.  I had a big bowl of figs all cut up and ready in the bottom of the refrigerator.   I had found three pint jars at Mom's and I had one half-pint that I had emptied.  That should be enough, I thought. 

I got out my tools.

I love that big canning ladle. It has a "Pointed nose" to help scoop up the product 
in the corners of the pot.  The jar lifter is my second one.  The first one finally 
wore out on me- the handles cracked and broke.

Here is the pot of preserves bubbling away.

I decided to use a cherry flavored gelatin and add some cocoa to it.
This is a flavor I lovingly call "Chocolate Covered Cherry"

And finally, here are the finished jars.

The flash makes them look lighter than they are. In person they look to be a 
deep burgundy color. (For reference that towel under them is black.) 

Of course you may have noticed that I said "That should be enough, I thought. "
Ha!  I had two small containers left over that I have put into the refrigerator to be 
used immediately.  I love using these preserves in my morning yogurt. 
It is so tasty and good.  I am now letting my sister-in-law and my aunt have
the rest of the figs this year as I am out of jars and fully stocked for the next year.
Interestingly, there seems to be a shortage of jars for sale this year. (Pandemic induced?)
I hope the figs are as abundant next year. In the late fall, I plan to prune the tree
as it is getting too big and gangly.  



Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Now I’m hungry. Looking lucious!

Frog Quilter said...

Yum. I used to can long ago when I was younger lol. The fig mixture looks totally yummy!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Your figs look YUMMY!! - Now you're making me hungry, too! - ;))

Pamela Arbour said...

It seems to be feast or famine with canning jars. I also think it depends on how many you give away. I think fig preserves are my favorite.