Monday, August 03, 2020

I got a "Trophy"



Some of you may know that I am working diligently to learn to speak Spanish.  I have been on Duolingo (basically a free online learning tool) since August 19, 2018.   I have missed only one day of study in that time.  My profile there shows a streak of 620 days without missing. That "one day" keeps it from being 715 days.

A couple of days ago, I decided to "try" the final exam.  More than a few of the questions were hard for me. But at the end of the test, I got this-
This does NOT mean that I am fluent. What it does mean is that I will be able to have some conversations with folks the next time I am in Mexico.  I have actually done this, but very haltingly, on past visits.  I am sure I will still need Google Translate as a backup for "interesting" words that I haven't learned yet - and certainly for some verb conjugations.

But I will be far more able to go shopping for things like


And any other things I may need or want while I am there.  I will be able to say more things and do less pointing/sign language.  And I will be able to call a cab or rideshare service or ask if the bus goes to place X.

I will still be working daily on my Spanish, because as we all know "If you don't use it, you lose it."

One day this will be me in my Mexican villa.

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

8 comments:

Vicki W said...

Congratulations! That's awesome!

Barbara said...

A wonderful achievement, and I can see you in that hammock. It that a Gene original painting?

Quilting Tangent said...

Congratulations! Hammock looks great. Thanks for the name of the site, maybe these will help me learn a language.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Congratulations!! You've worked hard for that - good job!! Your hammock painting is wonderful - ;))

Kathleen said...

I can see you in that hammock. Congratulations on your success with Spanish and your pursuit of something you love.

Jeanna said...

Congratulations Gene. You are right, keep using it so that you don't lose it. Love the watercolor as well.

Quilting Gail said...

My first thought was to say "tres bien." but then I realized that's French ... so Google told me to say "Felicidades"