Sunday, August 30, 2020

Playing with my Food

Sometimes I enjoy getting in the kitchen and trying something new.  While it can be "risky," I can usually eat my mistakes.  Over the past couple of weeks I have been gathering some ingredients to try this. 

I bought short-grain rice -Nishiki brand.  I bought a tube of Wasabi paste.  I also bought sheets of Nori - aka seaweed sheets.  Do you see where this is going?  I tried both  Asian stores in town to find pickled ginger, but to no avail.  I also bought a nice avocado. I had some cream cheese in the fridge, but I wish there had been more. (oops!)  I found rice wine vinegar at Big Lots. (you can find interesting ingredients there at times.) 

Then came Saturday.  The rice was prepared according to the directions I had read. I put it into the big bowl to cool.  It came out great - except that a layer stuck to the bottom of the stainless steel pan. (Hint - add water and heat to boiling again; let sit for a while and scrape with a metal spatula. It will come off.)

I seasoned the rice with the vinegar mixed with a bit of salt and sugar. Then it had to cool to room temp. (or close -- I was too anxious to get going.)

I used my nice new sushi rolling bamboo mat covered with plastic wrap.  A sheet of seaweed - rough side up- was covered with rice.  You wet your hands to handle the rice so it doesn't stick to you so badly.  A bowl of water beside you as you work is essential.  Then add the other ingredients.
Next you roll it up neatly.  (Watch a few videos on youtube to see how to do it before you start.) Finally you cut it up and put it on a plate. 

I don't have fancy sushi dishes but a normal plate works just fine.
That squeeze of wasabi on the side was enough for the entire plate of sushi. It was quite spicy.
I would say for a first time, this looks pretty darn good! 

And yes, I did eat with the chopsticks.

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

This is a favorite in our family (except for me because of the seaweed flavor 😝) But I would love the rest. Unless I missed something I’m wondering, what is orange? Avocado, cream cheese, rice wine vinegar, etc...love it all. Have you considered a retirement position wearing the little round hat in one of the sushi bars?

Frog Quilter said...

Love your sushi creations. I am assuming this was a vegetarian dish....

piecefulwendy said...

Oh yum - that looks delicious! I'm still trying to master the use of chopsticks.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

That does look yummy!! I love sushi - but never thought of making it at home - now I'm off to find a bamboo sheet - LOL - ;))

Jeanna said...

Looks wonderful, Gene. Eating with chopsticks is fun!

Pam said...

I buy pickled ginger from the grocery store.