Tuesday, September 01, 2020

A Little "For Me" Project

One thing that I truly enjoy is reading. I like a variety of books.  However, I am not one of the people who "needs" a paper book to enjoy reading.  I bought my first e-book in 2008.  I have a large collection of  e-books and when trying to downsize physical space, it is nice to have a huge library still at my fingertips.  I do, however still check out physical books from my library and occasionally buy a physical book.

A couple of weeks ago, I got a brand new Kindle Paperwhite e-reader.  I find the Paperwhite e-ink to be easier on my eyes than reading on a standard tablet.   I started looking for a cover for my device and was shocked that good ones cost about a third of the price of the device. 

Time to make my own cover both to protect and to make it easier to hold. 
I pulled out some hand dyed fabric, MistyFuse, ponytail holders,  and some "Stiffy" which is used to make postcards.  The Stiffy is similar to Timtex. 

I traced out my device on cardboard to use as a template -mostly for sizing.   I cut pieces of the Stiffy and added MistyFuse to them.   Then I placed them on the fabric and fused them down.  The edges of the fabric were folded over and and fused also.
An additional piece of Stiffy and fabric were used for the interior side where the Kindle Paperwhite attaches.  I added and sewed down the stretchy ponytail holders to use for holding the Kindle in place.
Then I sewed that section to the cover.
The device is secure and none of the screen is covered by the bands.

The outside looks like this
The cover will fold back completely.  This cover makes it much easier for me to hold onto
the "book" while I am reading it. My only regret is that I didn't add a small piece of magnet to 
make it a  "smart cover" that will automatically turn off the device. 

And just for grins, here is a picture of me way back when I was about 22.
I surely was skinny back then.  But not now. Ha ha.

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

7 comments:

Barbara said...

Haha, we all were! Nice kindle cover!

Unknown said...

Love this idea! I just enjoy my kindle and about to order one for Bryce. Miss you my friend!

Robin said...

I'm still trying to get used to reading non-paper books. My eyes get tired faster on my cell. Great idea for any hand held electronic device though!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree with Barbara - we all were skinnier back then! Nice Kindle cover! If you added a magnet - what's to keep it from turning off the device while you're reading it? - or is that a dumb question? - ;))

Jeanna said...

Your cover really came out nice, Gene. I love the fabric and your design is genius. Oh to be the size I was at 22...

Frog Quilter said...

It’s the person inside the body that matters most, not the size. You still look good!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

We were all skinny back then. Have fun reading!