Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Dyed and Gone to Heaven

A few days ago, I decided to make a warp for my loom,  using white and gray threads.  Most of you are thinking "white and gray?  That doesn't sound like Gene at all!"

And you would be correct.  But you see, I had a plan for that warp.  Once it was put together and securely tied, I took it to the dye chamber.  I mixed up three colors of dye and started.  The colors chosen- Chinese Red,  Golden Yellow, and Razzle Dazzle ( a red violet mixed dye.)  I also grabbed a couple of dishtowels and a discolored t-shirt.  (In case there was extra dye.)  First the three colors were applied to the warp, then the remaining dye went on the other three items.  Hmmm.... not enough dye to cover everything - time to punt!  I took the jar that I mixed the Razzle Dazzle dye in and added more of the soda ash water.  Then I grabbed the turquoise dye  and added some it it.  Turquoise is a pure dye color and I am pretty sure it is one of the components of the Razzle Dazzle.  Thus a safe bet to mix them. There was very little Razzle Dazzle left in the jar anyway.  

I finished adding dye solution to the other items and saw that I had leftover.  Hmmm....there is a bit of "blank space" on the warp yet - throw it in! 

I never expected the wonderful result I got with this warp.  When I rinsed the dye off in the first rinsing, I was amazed. Honestly I was afraid that beauty would not last  through the rinsing cycle.  But it did.  

Monday, as I was putting the (finally dry) warp on the loom, I was joyous.  Here is what I was seeing. 
Reds, yellows, oranges, blues purples, pinks, bits of green - a full rainbow - a plethora of colors.   I began to imagine the possibilities when I started weaving it.   

Once it was on the loom,  I chose a simple black thread to start the weaving.  (Quilters, take a moment - what happens when you use bright colors with a black background?)  Yes!  The colors pop even more!  This picture does NOT do it justice. 

It glows so much more than this photo can show.  It reminds me of photos I have seen of the Northern Lights, something I want to see one day in person.  Some of these cotton threads are mercerized which means that they take dye really well - AND- that they have a lovely shine.   
For right now, I am planning to weave in mostly dark colors that will accentuate that brilliance. 

A little further along and this section is making me happy too.

Meanwhile, the painted lady is stalled at this point:

And I did another little watercolor/doodle floral that is about 5 x 7 inches.


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

7 comments:

Debbie said...

Your weaving just explodes with color and it does look like the dancing northern lights! I love this version with the blackadded....to make it sing.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

BEAUTIFUL!! - The addition of black to your weaving reminds me of the lovely effect the black tulle added to my "confetti" quilt - it brightened all of the colors. Your "doodles" are fun - I'm looking forward to seeing your finished "lady" - ;))

Quilting Gail said...

Your talk about what you did with the dyes had my head spinning - only because I really don't know anything about dyes! However, I can say that I like the end result ... so pretty and colourful!
And, you are definitely having fun doodling! :-)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I love that water color. Have fun weaving with your fun colors.

Kathleen said...

That weaving is gorgeous! Love the improv and making it work.

Vicki W said...

Oh gosh, the weaving is looking so cool! It reminds me of a scarf that I paid a ton of $ for.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Oh, what a lot of creative fun you've had!