Saturday, September 12, 2020

A Little Quilt Piecing, A Little Painting

Since I have so many hobbies, projects, ideas, etc., I am trying to do a little of all of them.  When one skill lies fallow,  our proficiency starts to fade.  Sadly, since we are no longer doing our self-taught live Spanish class, I see regression in my Spanish skills.  (the common phrase "use it or lose it" comes to mind.

I pulled out some lovely Island Batik precut strips and some Thangles to play with. I found the Thangles in a drawer while I was looking for an art supply.  How did they get there???
Those fabric colors are so rich and happy.  I can use some extra happy.  For the Thangles, you need the strips to be 1/2" wider than the size of the triangles.  For the 2" triangles, the 2 1/2" strips are perfect.   And with batiks there is no wrong side of the fabric. 

I set up and started sewing the first strip.  Hmmm...this will be "start/stop" continuously.  I don't like that.  Quickly setting up three more sets, I started chain piecing them.
That is a much more efficient way of doing this.   Once I had several sets sewn, I started cutting them apart.  For this, I am using my scissors.  If the units were bigger I would use the rotary cutter for the horizontal lines,  but I can manage a straight two and a half inch cut.  But, you can always use your scissors for the seam line. The seam doesn't have to be exact because the unit takes care of that.
FYI, now is the time to cut off the one dog-ear from each unit.
The other is already gone thanks to the way these work up. 

But, speaking of seams, here is a lesson I learned.   When you are setting up the strips to sew, put the lighter fabric against the paper. Once you iron the seam open, it is much easier then to tear off the paper without disturbing the nice flat pressing you did.
As you can see, where the paper is against the light color and pressed to the dark,  all of the paper is exposed.  When the paper is against the dark fabric, the "tear line" is hiding in the seam. 

Now for the painting for today.  My friend at A Left-Handed Quilter, posted her method for doing the "easy water color flowers" with watercolor pencils.  I had to try it.

I suppose I should tell you that I used watercolor paint for the centers. It was just easier that way. But I love the way these came out.   For the "gold dots" I used a gold sharpie that I found while looking for a white pen. I found two white pens - completely dried out.  So the white is gouache paint (a type of watercolor that is not transparent.)
And I signed this with paint on a very small - size 0 - sable brush that I already had from years ago.



Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

6 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Nice trick with the Thangles - I'll have to remember that! And I LOVE your flowers - much better than mine - LOL - ;))

Debbie said...

Latest masterpiece is beautiful...should be on the front of a card! Love the added touch of gold too.
Great tip with thangles....I need some of those myself!

Kathleen said...

Love the fun you are having and the watercolors and whimsy are fun to see too! I am sure the IB quilt will be gorgeous...do you have a plan or playing when all the HSTs are made?

Barbara said...

How did I miss this post? Your watercolor flowers are great! I beg to differ though, even with our friend’s tutorial for doing this, I’ve given up. I’ve still played with the watercolor pencils, but not flowers; and they are probably never going to be my favored medium. Great job, Gene!

Hilachas said...

It’s so nice that you’re enjoying your different hobbies. Beautiful sewing and gorgeous painting.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I love the flowers, saw the ones you gifted Debbie; really nice! I had fun with watercolor pencils years ago. I may have to have a go at them again. ;)