Monday, September 14, 2020

Some Quilt Piecing and some Painting Experiments

Saturday afternoon, I sewed a lot of half square triangles using the Thangles.  For those who are curious: No, I don't have a plan.  I am just sewing up a bunch and then I will play with ideas.  There are many ways to approach the creative process. 
Here are the first ones that have been pressed and had the papers removed. 

And then there is this stack, that I was working on when the phone started ringing. I had four phone calls from various people for various things.  So I left these sitting and did what needed done. They are still in this stack as I write this. 

Sunday morning was painting play time.  Painting something simple is a great time to meditate and just let go.   But first, let me mention that Saturday afternoon I had an idea.  What if?  What if I took a piece of the watercolor paper and put a layer of iridescent acrylic over it before I painted the watercolor flowers?  Would the paint even stick?  I painted the piece of paper and left it to dry overnight.  

Back to Sunday morning!  I got the watercolors and the pre-painted paper and sat down to play.  The paint acts very different on the painted surface (hint: it isn't fun!)  But I painted it anyway just to see. 
I suppose it is okay, but I don't love it. 

Then I thought "What if.... I painted the flowers with acrylic paint? How would that work?" You know I had to try it. 
It is much more difficult to keep those edges soft.  Also, the acrylic dries pretty quickly. The initial do will have a hard outline if you leave it for very long.  I managed to hide it pretty well on this one. But let me try again. 
I decided to put a dot and pull out the petal before adding another dot. It worked better but it is still almost impossible to get the edges as soft as you can with watercolor. 

This was a fun experiment.  These will at least be okay for the front of a card to send or give someone.

My rule of creativity is this:  Try it, if it doesn't work -fine you learned what doesn't work.  If it works, even better.  Failure is only true failure if you don't learn from it. 


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

4 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Pretty HST!! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them all. And your paintings are wonderful - it's fun to learn as we go along - isn't it? - always saying - "What if...?". I think they credit Edison with saying something along the lines of - "I haven't failed - I have found 99 ways that don't work." I think that applies to us all - LOL - ;))

Frog Quilter said...

All beautiful. Love the mindless sewing of triangles.

Barbara said...

All pretty!! So much fun to experiment.

Debbie said...

I don't see a thing wrong with any of them! The different degrees of softness also give the impression of different time of day and light conditions. So enjoy seeing how you experiment and discover new effects.