Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Doodling on a Watercolor Start

I decided to stop weaving, sewing, and messing about on the computer for a while.  To give myself something to do, I took an "Art Break."   I had a couple of what I call "starts" that I had put some abstract color designs down with watercolor.  I took one of those and a black pen and started doodling over the colors.   

It was amazing how quickly I got into the fun of just playing on the piece with a black pen.  Then I grabbed a black brush pen and did some tweaking.  Suddenly, I didn't know what to do next. I stopped there and just looked at it for a while. 


I liked it like that but I wasn' thrilled with it.  Then after an "overnight reprieve,"  I decided to try cropping out some of the outer edges.  Ah, there it is!  Now it makes me happy.  I put it in small frame with a mat around it.  Here is the final result, although after this photo, I did remember to sign it before I finalized the framing. 
In this case, I think that cropping away the "extra" left the essential part, the essence, of the piece.  
It is abstract but it certainly doesn't feel "non-representational" - I just don't know exactly what it is.
Perhaps it is an angel on a precipice weeping into its wing. 


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

7 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

Love your creation, so happy and peaceful.

Barbara said...

I don’t know it it’s something flying or Roman-type columns undulating in an earthquake. Your angel interpretation tells more of a story. Lots to cry about on our planet these days. So lovely, Gene, awesome creating!

Marlene said...

Interesting that you were drawn to doodling at the exact time that I was. I wonder if this will become another rabbit hole for you. Your results are fantastic. I love the combination of free form water colour and doodling.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Or a headless gargoyle with wings - LOL - ;))

Vicki W said...

Good work!

~Laurie~ said...

I see the angel weeping!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

It made me think of an eagle about to take flight, or perhaps the figurehead of a ship. Whatever, I like it!