Saturday, September 26, 2020

A Correction - and then Playtime

A Left-Handed Quilter kept telling me that one block in my layout was turned wrong.  I kept arguing - and then I saw it.  Doggoneit! She was right.   
I opened Electric Quilt and changed the block orientation so that it was what I originally intended. 

But as EQ was already open and running, I was tempted to play.  To be honest, my old bones are sore after the caulking work.  Sitting in this chair - quiet and still - it feels good. 

I made a new layout that is completely different.  I think of this one as a medallion type quilt. 




While the blocks are all almost the same, the center block has a solid center and uses purple. There are four blocks that do not use the blue cornerstones (they have yellow instead.)  I really like this one, but I doubt that I will actually make it.  With 8" finished blocks it comes in at about 50" square, I think.  To make it longer, it would be simple to make a couple of rows of 4 patch blocks  to put outside the purple borders on the top and bottom, then just extend the outer border.
If anyone wants to make it, it is all simple squares and half-square triangle units. All I ask is that you give me credit for the design and send me a picture of your finished quilt or quilt top. 

Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

9 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Haha - well, it took you long enough - LOL. I like both of your EQ versions - it would be hard to choose which one to make - but if you're making the first one - I might try to make the second one - using my ruler - just for fun - ;))

Lyndsey said...

I like both designs but my favourite is the second one. I'm bookmarking this post so I can revisit in the future when I've finished a couple of my other projects. I've got so many on the go I've had to instituted a, finish a project to start a new project, system.

Pamela Arbour said...

I am always amazed at how simple blocks can be rearranged into entirely different quilts. Thanks for playing. I really need to spend more time in EQ!

Vicki W said...

I like the medallion quilt. Lots of possibilities there but, for me, a square quilt has to be at least 90" square so I can use it on a bed.

Barbara said...

Like others, I’m partial to the second design. It changes the look entirely from a yellow quilt to a multi-colored quilt. Regardless of which design you choose, it will be grand!

Quilting Gail said...

Isn't it fun to play in EQ??? I can spend a lot of time there!

I was trying to decide which quilt I liked best ... then I decided that I like them both ...
which one are you going to make?

Happy Quilting! :-)

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I like both of these designs however, I do think the second has a little more interest. But then I enjoy Medallion type quilts very much. No matter...whichever you make, Gene, will be wonderful.

Sandra Walker said...

Ooh, isn't it fun to play in EQ and get those very 'ooh!' and 'ahh!' moments? Glad you were resting too!

Linda Swanekamp said...

I like both designs. I tend not to make square quilts because I can't use them as comfort quilts to cover up the whold person.