Saturday, January 09, 2021

Quilting a Section

Now that all of the sections are sewn, I finally got back to the quilting.  On Friday, I layered and basted the third section of the quilt and started quilting it.  I started in a solid block that is hand painted fabric. 

I quilted my version of "square flower" on it. Since I started off center, one side has an extra petal.  In the overall scheme of the quilt, it will not be obvious. 

Then I did a quirky pattern on a pieced block.
I think I am calling this one "feather flower."  I started with a circle in the center and then added a modified feather going around it until the block was filled. 

I also did another solid block with random quilting designs - I made it up as I went along.

I did another block with just meandering, but I didn't take a photo of it.  I also did all of the sashing/border areas.  That means that this section is more than half finished. 

But UPS came with my late "combination birthday/Christmas" present to myself.  I spent the rest of the evening playing with it and just being very happy. 


This is an Evoharp - an autoharp designed by Evo Bluestein.  I chose a diatonic that plays in the keys of "F" and "C."  Yes, that limits what you can play, but the advantages are greater volume and a nicer sound.  I  really love it. 


Until Next Time,  
Stay Creative 


Comments are welcomed. I will reply when possible. Of course if you are a "No Reply Blogger"- I can not reply. Links in comments will result in the entire comment being deleted.

12 comments:

Debbie said...

I have missed a few posts lately, but the quilt and quilting look great! The important thing is to try a design, or make up your own.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Those squares are looking nice. Have fun with your new present.

Frog Quilter said...

I love quilting that is made as you go, total freedom.

Great present for you, enjoy!

Barbara said...

Your quilting is nothing less than spectacular. It flows beautifully! Your new auto Evoharp will bring much pleasure. The tone is so clear and it sounds easily as if a melody can be played on it. Such a beautiful sound! It looks like it’s already working it’s peaceful magic on you!

Kathleen said...

Your quilting is perfect! I just love the square flower and the feather flower.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Nice quilting. I am afraid when it comes to music, I have zero ability. The harp sounded heavenly.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I love that quilting you're doing. All your designs look really good! Also the Evoharp music - really beautiful.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Your quilting is AWESOME - as usual! I love your "make it up as you go" ability - you inspire me to get back to actually quilting some of my tops this year. Your Evoharp sounds so clear and beautiful - please keep posting videos of your songs - they are wonderful - ;))

The Joyful Quilter said...

Very cool quilting designs, Gene!! Happy (belated) birthday!

Pamela Arbour said...

You really played that well. I liked the sound of it too.

I liked your quilting too. Good job.

Quilting Gail said...

Love your feather flower - that's sooooo cool! I'll have to try that sometime ...
Happy Quilting! :-)

Barb said...

I loooovvvve your quilting on this quilt.