Thursday, December 03, 2009

Confessions of a Fabric-a-holic


I have a confession to make.   Even though I am trying SO MUCH to avoid buying fabric, once in a while I fail.

Yes, I fail.  I FAIL badly.  You see it was one of those "after Thanksgiving sales" with prices that were too good to pass up.  Judi at Green Fairy Quilts posted about Moda honey buns for CHEAP!  I love jelly rolls, which are 2.5 inch strips.  A honey bun is a 1.5 strip.  Now if I had both....... Hmmmmm.  I could alternate strips from each (wide strip, thin strip,wide strip, thin strip, etc) and THEN cut across the strip set twice. Next put them in opposite directions so the seams DON'T match and make a cool design.  Yeah, the idea caused trouble.  You see that picture?  I bought a honey bun(Neptune by Tula Pink) from Green Fairy Quilts.   And since the Kashmir charm pack was on sale too, I added it to my  addiction.   Just so you know -and to fuel your addiction, Green Fairy Quilts is still having the sale.

Good thing I already have some jelly roll strips to go with that huh?  Eventually I will get a chance to get back to the sewing machine and then I can show you what I described. I hope it looks as cool as it did in my head.
Now....how will I add the charm pack into this mix? Or will I?  We will see.

In other "I was bad and bought something" news,  I also ordered a Fun and Done Batting Buddy from Chris' Shop over at We Love Quilting .  This looks really cool. It is a quilt as you go technique that ends with a totally finished quilt that is bound and finished. (without sewing on extra binding!!!) The backing makes both the sashing and the binding.   I can hardly wait to get it and try this.  Hmmmm..could I use the jelly roll/honey bun combo with it? I think so.  There are also "Fun and Done" Patterns but you KNOW I don't follow patterns. LOL

10 comments:

Pat said...

Oh, my.....can't wait to see the results. Never heard of this "fun and done" thing but I like the idea of a totally FINISHED quilt once the top is done!!! Keep me posted about this, okay?

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Wonderful choice!!!

Needled Mom said...

Fun and done? Interesting. I can't quite imagine it.

Unknown said...

yummy fabrics.

Sarah said...

I love Neptune and can't wait to see what you do with it. I'm also curious about how the batting buddy works but I'm sure you will show us :)

Barb said...

It seems that you and I hit the same sale...I am expecting 3 honey buns in the mail.....I am so excited. Enjoy your fabric!!!

Tangos Treasures said...

tee hee it's good to be bad!!
I've never heard of the fun & done either?
Can't wait to see what you make!

Anonymous said...

This sounds like the ultimate quilt as you go method, will have to check it out. Your fabrics are great and I know you will find a way to make them work. If the sizes aren't right, you can join them until they are. ;)

ooglebloops said...

Someday, I hope to get some honeybuns!! They do look irresistible- I see why you gave in!!!!!! Love the new pic also!!!

Vesuviusmama said...

Fun and Done, huh? Maybe I could actually FINISH something. I'll have to check it out!