Monday, December 21, 2009

Project - in the ditch.

I am working on a project (present) but that person sometimes looks at my blog so I can't show it. Suffice it to say that I sewed last night and discovered that I can stitch in the ditch much better if I do it free motion.  That was a revelation.








 I think it is the open toe foot that makes that happen. That is NOT my stitching in the picture.  I st----errr borrowed that picture from Amazon.com  I am wondering if I can find a regular foot for my Babylock that is an open toe.  I suppose I should take the time to look thru the feet I have in the case first. LOL.  I keep finding that I already have what I need, I just don't realize it.

BTW the reason I tried free motion "in the ditch" quilting is that I was just too lazy to change the foot again. And I knew I had to do a bit more free motion anyway. That would be changing TWICE.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you doing it free motion!! Can't wait to see the project.

Barb said...

I like to do both.....just love it....totally love it...did I say...love it?

Needled Mom said...

I find that I do much better ditch stitching free motion too.

LINDA BYLSMA said...

Oh, I hear what you are saying. I packed all of my spare parts and feet away to tidy of for the Open Farm, and now I can't find them!!! That always happens when I clean. If you put things away, you can't find them! And I'm too busy sewing to look, so one foot for all projects, regardless.

Frummie said...

Hey Gene,
I can do it much better with a LARGE glass of Grey Goose...LOL

Anonymous said...

It's nice for you to discover stitching in the ditch is more do-able. I do that on some quilts when I know they will be used hard and need to be laundered often. I've never mastered free-motion quilting -- actually, for me they are both hard!
Perhaps more practice...but after the holidays.

Royce said...

I tried the ditch stitch once...then I ditched it. Maybe I needed a large glass of something? It just didn't work for me, but I will try it this way. cause I love free motion.

Pat said...

Oh, are you making that gift for ME and you are afraid I'll see it on here??? hehehe No??? Oh, well...it was worth asking. LOL

Petit Design Co. said...

I read a book by Harriet Hargrave where she talks about cutting your free motion foot so it's open and filing the edges so it's not sharp (if you can't find an open toe foot for your machine)

I haven't tried it yet as I'm too chicken to ruin a perfectly good foot and dropping $30 to replace it if I mess up is not my idea of cheap.

Unknown said...

it's ok that I see it..it will still be a suprise when it arrives. I do both and love both....

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I find I can do better stitch in the ditch with my quarter inch foot that just has the tiny round opening and the narrow space between the toes. With that foot my eyes can't wander to the left or right and I stay focused right at the seam line.