Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Another Look

After reading all the comments and of course thinking my way through the process, the lightbulb went on.
The Convergence Quilt is changed again.  I cut one of the two sections in half and added it to the opposite side. Then I grabbed a fabric to border it with and cut the border pieces.  I sewed on two of them, ironed pressed the seams flat and took a good look at it.  GAG!!!  UGH! YUCK!!!

The seam ripper got a little workout removing those two pieces. I chose another fabric and this time I did a proper audition. I liked it.  I sew the two end pieces on, ironed  pressed the seams flat OOOH NICE!!!!
Then I went to cut the top and bottom borders.  YIKES There is not enough fabric left. What to do???

I had some of the purple that was added on the angle convergence.  I cut some pieces and pieced those borders as you can see here.


Notice that the corner stones do not connect to the center piece?  That is NOT a mistake, I planned that.  Now I am thinking about adding a darker purple/violet hand dyed edging around this.  Or maybe an interesting green?  What do you think?


** Credit due to Ricky Tims for the book Convergence Quilts. - Thanks Ricky!**


12 comments:

Unknown said...

love it.....do you need to borrow a seam ripper? i have a few ;)

Greg said...

I really like the way this is turning out. Nice work Gene!!

Petit Design Co. said...

love the way the middle panel turned out, much easier on the eyes.

Miss Hillbilly said...

You did a great re-do job!!

Pat said...

WOW...haven't had a chance to look at blogs much lately, but this is fascinating. I vote for putting purple around the edges....as much as I love green, I'm not certain that would work as well. See you in a few hours!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the way it seems to float away from the disconnected corner stones. That's an unusual twist and no surprise it was planned!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

WOW! What a stunning piece your convergence is turning into. I'm not sure about the edging - the green may be too much of a distraction from the original piece. But then you have continued to amaze me with each step of this quilt. I can't wait to see what you select!

Rhonda said...

Looks great from here Gene. Maybe a dark 2 inch purple border....just sayin'

Barb said...

This is looking soooo fantastic!!! No comment on the color for border...sorry, you are on your own.

Melissa ;-) said...

Oh, Gene you were right about that center line. Much better! It looks like an abstract of a window view! I like the idea of putting purple around it.

Micki said...

I like the center. Any color you pull out from the center will do nicely for the outside edging.
Micki

Sarah said...

cutting that panel in half was brilliant. I love the way it looks :)