Saturday, February 26, 2011

Cutting Bias Binding Video Tutorial

As promised,  here is the video tutorial for cutting bias binding.  A number of people cut straight strips for binding.  I did that too, until I learned this technique from Pat Wys of Silver Thimble Talk.  I think I told you earlier that Pat showed Pat C. and I this method using a napkin in a restaurant in Atlanta.  That restaurant had some interesting decor too.  This was mounted to the ceiling right above our table. 
You just never know what you will see in Atlanta.  Ha ha. 
photo courtesy of Pat C. 

Now, back to the topic: 


Why is bias binding better?  Number one is strength and durability. The bias is more durable. There is a good reason why the bias binding lasts longer. With a straight of grain binding there is one thread that basically runs along the edge for the length of that strip.  When/if that thread breaks, the fabric is weakened and can split more easily. With a bias binding, you have multiple threads that run only short distances; thus there is always less stress on any one thread.


You put a lot of work into making a quilt. So bind it with bias so that it lasts and lasts!  Your future family members (or those of the recipient of the quilt) will be so glad you did.  



This video will also be accessible on the Videos- Quilting tab on my blog.

Thanks to BOTH Pat Wys and Pat  C. for a fun day with some education thrown in to make it even better. 


Late Addition:  I think I cut one or two more strips sections.This piece of fabric was 26 -28 inches wide when I started.   I got roughly 300 inches of bias.  This will bind a 70 inch square quilt.  I had leftover fabric also. 


25 comments:

Pat said...

Great job on this video! I think Pat W told us a formula for figuring how much fabric we needed for a binding....wonder if I have that written down somewhere? If not, I'm sure she'd tell us again. I've not yet done the binding this way, BUT...I still have my napkin from that day at the restaurant when she was "teaching" us how to do this.....while that silly TURKEY watched from his perch above our table!!! LOL

Teresa Quilts said...

Good job, Gene. What type ruler and mat do you have? It is a lot different than mine. Just wondering. Teresa

Gene Black said...

Teresa is a "no-reply" blogger, so I can't answer her directly.
This is an Alvin mat that was originally bought for art, not quilting. I also have a green Olfa cutting mat.

I have several brands of rulers. This particular one is a Quilt Sense ruler. My favorite is an Olfa Frosted Advantage; it doesn't slip and it easy to read on both dark and light fabric. I also have rulers by June Tailor and OmniGrid.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

What a fantastic video tutorial! Thank you, Gene!! You make it look so easy. I will definitely be giving this a try on my next binding!

luv2quilt2 said...

Thanks, Gene. Great demonstration.

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

Thank you Gene! I am having a baby quilt quilted and I intend to tell the recipient to USE IT. So this is timely for me.

Tangos Treasures said...

Awesome!!!

Is that a wedding ring I see?? Did you get married without telling us??

Norma's Place said...

Thanks for the Tutorial Gene. I have just days to finish a Wedding Ring Quilt so will use bias around the edge, also with your other idea of putting it on a roll hanging like a necklace. Seeing you do it is great even if I have done it before, its like a test run, before I do the real thing again!

Kaye said...

Gene, thanks so much for the bias video, you make it look so easy, I will definately try it.You did a good job putting the video together. I Love the penny whistle and it is nice in the video

Barb said...

Yes, I did enjoy that...excellent!

twodraftmom said...

Thanks for the Video. I will be trying it next time. May I recommend the ergo 2000 rotary cutter? I love mine! http://www.amazon.com/Martelli-Ergo-Rotary-Cutter-45mm-Right/dp/B0001DUJLQ. Claire

Unknown said...

Finally! A bias video tut that I can understand! Thanks, Gene!

Regina said...

Thank you Gene! That was a great video. Love the whistling as well. I especially love that you showed how to attach the two strips. I always have trouble with that step.

Sarah said...

I'm bookmarking this. Where else can you find tutorials with a charming host AND pennywhistle music?

Jocelyn said...

Wow Gene, that looks like a great method. There does not seem to be any waste by cutting it that way. Great tutorial! Thanks.

Teresa Quilts said...

I am sorry that I didn't leave you my email address, but you know what it is. I appreciate your answer via my email address. Thanks, Gene.
Teresa
tnance@wildblue.net

Miss Hillbilly said...

That is a great way to cut it! Thanks for sharing.

Melissa ;-) said...

Great video, Gene! How easy is that! Though I did get distracted by that full wine rack in the background. LOL!

Joan said...

Really interesting video Gene - I found it very easy to understand. Thankyou.

Cyndi said...

Gene, that was wonderful. I've always avoided cutting bias binding because I thought it was hard. Your video makes it look really easy and fast. I'm definitely going to give it a try on the next quilt I make!

Uhm, that turkey or whatever it is on the ceiling of the restaurant is definitely a "unique" piece of decorative(?) art! LOL!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Myra said...

Thanks for the Bias Binding know how Gene!!! I use bias binding all the time, and I am going to give this method a try!!!
Happy stitchin'!!!

quiltmom anna said...

I do use some bias bindings for my quilts but not all the time. I had not seen this method before so it was very helpful.Thanks for the demonstration. I was particularly interested in the way that you fold it so that you get more continuous binding. The trick would be folding sequence so that you do get more continuous pieces.
Hope that you are continuing to feel better.
Regards,
Anna

Diane said...

thanks for the demo on cutting bias strips - much clearer than other explanations I have seen - Merry Christmas Gene!

Cathi said...

What a super way to do bias binding! Your video makes it really easy to understand. Thank you -- now no more fooling with the tube method that never seems to quite work for me!

Unknown said...

what length of fabric are you using?
more than a yard?