Tuesday, February 22, 2011

LCQA Block 9




The Layer Cake Quilt Along Block Nine was designed by Jovita Goldschmidt.
There were four choices for layout on this block. I decided to make a 5th choice.


She called this block "U Pick"; so I picked an "off the board" option and made it my own. All of the designer's choices were fully symmetrical. I chose to make it mirror image symmetrical. My version looks different if turned sideways. My peculiar brain wanted to play with the pieces a bit, and when I saw this layout, I liked it.


I have not forgotten the tutorial on cutting bias binding. I will post it once I have pictures and/or video. Sorry for the delay.

7 comments:

Pat said...

Your block looks really nice!

-girl from the bush said...

Hi Gene, your block looks great ! you have wonderful contrasts. I haven;t decided what block i will do yet. sue~n.z.

Unknown said...

your block looks great, as always

Barb said...

Like your block.....sometimes life just gets in the way....hope you are back to 100 percent!

Anonymous said...

I love the colors and fabrics. I had to look harder to find the mirror image that separates your block from one with perfect symmetry. No surprise that you made it your own!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Great block! When I saw you selected the 5th choice I thought "but wait, there were only 4". I should not be surprised that you came up with something original and beautiful!!

Gari in AL said...

I really liked this block. I, too, saw many potential variations and am thinking about doing a quilt just using this block in as many variations as I can think of. Oh, and I really like your color combination as well as your variation.