Friday, February 25, 2011

Why I Quilt

I saw video below on another blog and it so precisely explains "Why I Quilt" that I had to share it. I happen to be a painter also.  Each process is creative, each process feeds my soul and my need to create.  Why do I "need" to create?   I was reading a book by Madeleine L'Engle ("Walking on Water") and found that "why" in the text. For me, it explains why in a way that makes sense.  I don't have the exact quote, but it goes something like this:  I am created in the image of God, the creator. I am in the image of a creator so to fulfill that image, I NEED to create.

Okay, here is the video of Bonnie Hunter explaining why she quilts. Just imagine it is me saying the same things.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why some create and others don't is a very good question. Not everyone I know creates with their hands like I feel compelled to do, but they are creative in other ways. Some are creative with their work, some with their words, and others simply with their care-giving gifts to others.

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. How true!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Thank you for sharing this! If you don't mind I will be sharing this on m blog too. I really need to show this to my mom. Just the other day she heard me sewing while we were talking on the phone and said "Don't you have enough quilts?" My answer was NO!

Unknown said...

This is wonderful! I have been trying to explain to my husband what the appeal of quilting is for me, and I haven't quite been able to put my finger on it. I don't feel quite the same way Bonnie (and you) feel about it. But I think I can put it into words now. Thanks, Gene!

Pat said...

This is very good and I agree with Barbara......we all have gifts and are creative in our own ways. (It's just that some things are thought of as being creative and others...not so much!) You are truly one of the more creative people I've had the pleasure to meet.

Unknown said...

ditto what Pat said, you are very creative indeed...

Micki said...

Loved the video...It does say it so well why we create..I know I tend to be more eclectic with my creativity, but it gives me so much satisfaction.
Micki

ooglebloops said...

I create, therefore I am - for me, creativity creates sanity (sometimes!) :>)