Saturday, February 12, 2011

Star Quilt Block Tutorial

I happened upon this tutorial on YouTube. It shows how to use a jellyroll strip for the interior of a star block. This is an easy star to make. You can cut everything with a rotary cutter. However, it is also AccuQuilt GO! friendly, since you can cut the 2 1/2" strips with the GO! and you can also cut the 2 1/2" squares for the background with the GO! You will have to cut the 4" strip with a rotary cutter. (sorry)

This is from the lady that teaches the online quilting class that was a prize in this giveaway back in December 2010.



I would cut 2 1/2" triangle pieces with the value die rather than cutting the 2 1/2" strip and doing the pressing.
I lay my block pieces out like she does when she is assembling the star to avoid sewing the wrong pieces together. (Sometimes, I still manage to mess up!)

One thing that I do differently is that I like to always press those seams open before I join seams together. I think it makes it more accurate.

On a different note, I am still suffering with this nasty cold. Sorry I haven't posted for a few days. I am just spending my energy on making it through the days.

5 comments:

Miss Hillbilly said...

Hope you get over that cold soon!!

I used to frequent the MSQC forum, and we did a huge star block swap this last Christmas. They were quick and easy to assemble this way. Now I have a huge pile of Christmas stars. Guess I need to turn them into something but I'm not feeling it yet. I'd like to get rid of the snow first I think.

Unknown said...

oh no, i hope you'll start to feel better soon, when I took E to the dr for his leg, they said they were seeing over 200 kids a day with that cold and flu mess.......thanks for sharing the video, i wish i had that space she has......

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I sure hope you are on the road to recovery soon. Thanks for the tutorial video!

Rhonda said...

It's no fun to be under the weather....feel better soon!!!!

Pat said...

I hope you kick this sick "thing" soon. Thanks for the star tutorial......love things that can be done mostly using the GO!!!