Thursday, February 17, 2011

In a bind?

Let me tell you that I learned something wonderful.  I can cut bias binding in minutes with no agonizing or using the angled mark on the ruler.   As I mentioned yesterday, Pat Wys  showed Pat and I how she cuts bias binding. I had my paper towel example and looked it over really well.  Then I took a piece of fabric I wasn't crazy about and did a test run. It worked!  So I got the fabric I had chosen for binding my signature quilt and cut it for real.  Cutting it took maybe ten minutes including the ironing time. Seriously!  I was amazed. I cut a lot of binding too. 
This is the leftover, after I had bound the quilt.
You can see that I put it on a little roll and made a "necklace" to wear while sewing on the binding. That kept it from getting all tangled and dragging while I was attaching it.   
(notice how cutting on the bias made those lines angle -it adds an extra visual pop to the quilt too!) 

Next I sewed the binding onto the BACK of the quilt.  I know, you are thinking "that is so wrong!" but.....
After I got it sewed on, I flipped the quilt over and machine stitched the binding down on the front. That allows me to keep the stitching on the front perfectly aligned. Well, it would be perfect if I hadn't been watching television. 

Now, I have one thing to say - it is way easier to sew bias binding on the quilt AND the corners miter much more easily.  Oh, and I understand that it wears better and lasts longer. I really like that idea!

I plan to do a tutorial on cutting the bias binding in the next week or so.   Thanks again to Pat at Silver Thimble Talk for the lesson on cutting bias binding. 



17 comments:

Melissa ;-) said...

Looking forward to it, Gene. And I am going to have to make me one of those little necklaces, too!

Pat said...

GREAT!!! Now if I look at my folded paper towel from when Pat gave us the lesson and don't recall how to do it, I will be able to check out your tutorial and get all the help I need!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I look forward to the tutorial! I have never cut a bias binding before and am anxious to learn. Your binding looks perfect on your quilt!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

I've always used bias for my bindings....but I'm the wise one who also trips over it when I walk back to sit down!!! Guess I need a toilet paper roll necklace too.....LOL

Kelly

Cyndi said...

I'm looking forward to your tutorial, too, Gene! I read recently that binding cut on the bias is best to use for quilts that will be used and washed often as it is stronger and wears better. I can't wait to see how you do it!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Unknown said...

That binding necklace is GENIUS! I am definitely going to try that! Bring on that tutorial! I have looked at some video tutorials on the internet for cutting bias binding strips, and there is so much weird folding that I get lost in the first minute!

Tangos Treasures said...

Cool can't wait to read it!!
Your quilt looks great!

Barb said...

I can't wait for you lesson....

sewfunquilts said...

We are all waiting anxiously for your bias binding tute. I love your new necklace too.

I sew my binding down by machine too. Did you see my tute on it?

http://sewfunquilts-sewmeow.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-easy-peasy-machine-binding-tutorial.html

Judy

Jocelyn said...

Well inquiring minds want to know about this fabulous way to cut binding. I do sew my binding onto the back and machine stitch in the front because I really don't like to hand stitch :-(

Miss Hillbilly said...

Please do show us soon!!!

Anonymous said...

I've never cut bias binding, will be watching for your tutorial. Putting the binding on a roll around the neck is genius!

Kim said...

Huh...why do you suppose the biased binding would last longer than straight of grain binding?
Interesting.
I only cut on the bias if it makes a difference in the design of the fabric.....like a stripe.
there is always something new to learn...the quilt looks great!

Happy sewing

fabricartist21 said...

Say Gene I want in on the way to cute bias binding. Anything to save time. Are you going to post it here and remind us on facebook. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Norma's Place said...

To think of all the paper towels rolls that I have thrown out, and this is a great hint for so many things like wool or lace. Looking forward to your tutorial...now you'll have to find the time!

Anonymous said...

I look forward to your tute!