Saturday, July 02, 2011

Chi-Tri Block and Quilt Design

Greetings friends!  Last night I realized that I was LATE.  I had a July 5th "in my mailbox" due date for a couple of blocks for a sampler quilt.  Yikes, no way it is getting there.  I emailed the host hostess who was lenient since a couple of things have changed. WHEW!!!


So I sat at the computer and designed a block using the Go! Chisel and 3.5" triangle dies. Fun stuff! I made the blocks and sealed them in an envelope. CRAP! I forgot to take a picture. Luckily I saved the design to show you:


The real block is not in these colors however and the other block I made is a standard block, not one I designed.  Now this block is probably already in existence in some form as "there is nothing new under the sun." 


I decided to do some quilt layouts this morning AND capture the images to show you (yes including the block image above.)


So here are some possible quilt layouts for this block:

So you see the alternating spools? And how about that interesting chain design? You could get fancy and alternate the chain colors too.
Or you could change the orientation of the blocks and get something entirely different, like this:

Looks like hugs, kisses and diamonds, don't you think?
In the future I will try to do better taking pictures of the real blocks. Sigh, I must be getting old. 

5 comments:

sewfunquilts said...

Very interesting, Gene. Sigh....I wish I was as good as you using the EQ software.

Barb said...

YOu are really good with that software, don't even think I would know how to use it if I had it....great job!

Rhonda said...

Gene you are so funny. I was really laughing when you said you forgot to take a picture of the block you made..... it reminded me of myself.
Your design choices are great..... the artist in you is showing.
You have a great weekend, my friend!

Royce said...

Love the block - you can really do wonders with EQ. I had a sweet friend loan me her old lap top with it on it and I had issues with figuring it out, but can see how sweet it could be after you get the hang of it. I was having PC issues too - I'm an old mac head you see.

Miss Hillbilly said...

Neat. I have seen the chisel and I am so mentally blocked when it comes to design. I think the Go will be good for me to break that design block.