Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Dirty Business Practice

A few months ago, I received a DVD in the mail from "National Quilter's Circle" in Minnesota, MN.  I had not ordered it and didn't really want it. So I threw away all the packaging that came with it.  I do still have the DVD.   It is mediocre and I didn't learn anything from it.  
About a month later I got a reminder that I was supposed to pay up or send back the DVD in the provided postage paid envelope. (which I had already thrown away)   I trashed that letter also.  US postal law states " it is illegal to send merchandise to someone, unless that person has previously ordered or requested it."

On Tuesday, I got yet another "reminder of how the program works."  I am keeping this one for a while until I talk to the local postmaster.  You see, there is more to the law: 


Furthermore, it is illegal for a company that sends you unordered merchandise to follow the mailing with a bill or dunning communication.
If you are aware of violations of the federal law prohibiting the mailing of unordered merchandise, or if you have personally had difficulty with such items--especially if you are sent statements demanding payment for the merchandise--you should contact you local postmaster or the nearest Postal Inspector.


I wish I had kept all the letters they sent as some type of proof.  However an internet search showed that many people received this unsolicited. So I just thought I would warn you and inform you of the law so that you wouldn't get "taken" by this unscrupulous business. 

And, just so there is a picture in this post here is a painting I did a while back. A dear friend who lives in Tennessee bought it. 


11 comments:

Unknown said...

Gene
I also received one of those DVD's. I was really upset with how they did that.

Rhonda said...

Thanks for the heads-up Gene. It's always something!!!

Petit Design Co. said...

I had no idea that law existed. Thanks for enlightening me. I'm sure we've all gotten junk at one point or another (or will at some point) so it's good to know!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Thank you for the information! I will be interested to hear what your local postmaster has to say.
Gorgeous picture! Are there different textures or is it just your beautiful artistic work?

Barb said...

How frustrating....hope you get the issue resolved. My mother has that issue with a quilt magazine....

Gene, that picture is just amazing....awesome...beautiful....

Barbara said...

Thanks for the warning, Gene. Now onto the really important part of this post (grin) your stunning painting. I love the earth tones, and I definitely feel landscape there. It's beautiful!

Melissa ;-) said...

Thanks for the info, Gene. I hate when that stuff happens and I thought it was illegal, though I never really knew the law. And I think you missed your calling with painting, Gene. That is gorgeous! (Not that you aren't a good quilter - you are just so multi-talented!)

Four dogs and one quilter said...

Excellent post, Gene. I too have received this DVD and I just threw it away along with all the follow-on mailings. Next time I will report it to the post office.

Seriously envious of your artistic talent!

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

First of all, your painting is beautiful!
I received a DVD too and sent it back the same day without viewing it. I still received a letter requesting payment. I hate things like this and appreciate your warning and review of the laws. I wonder how many people are intimidated by this method of merchandising and send the requested money.

Nancy said...

I got that same DVD...pitched the whole thing...including all the letters that came after... they finally stopped...

Check your credit report also. They could falsely file a complaint..

Pat said...

Very nice painting...I love the colors. Let us know what the postmaster says, okay?