Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Other Half

I am finally back in the swing of quilting.  This morning I have managed to layer and baste the back of the other half of the commission quilt.  This was not without an oh no!  moment.  You see, I layered the backing and the batting.  Then I laid the top over it. Oh NO! the top is bigger than the backing!!!   Sigh! At least the batting is big enough. Okay, so what can I do? 
Easy enough if I were at home.  However, the reason this wasn't layered earlier is that I don't have enough floor space.  I "measured" it against each other on the bed, but obviously that was a "fail."  What did I bring with me?  Let me see, I have the top, the batting and the backing.  Oh yes, I did bring some fabric to cut the deep purple binding.  Let me see... yes there is LOTS of it.  I just grabbed my mini bolt (wrapped on a comic book board.) Whew! It will work.  So I cut a nice long piece and added it to the interior of the "I thought it was pieced already" backing. 
Here is the new and improved backing:
That really is a deep purple strip, I promise.
Someone on a previous post mentioned that this was modern.  I guess I didn't realize it as I don't follow trends so much.  I knew it was non-traditional. I just didn't classify it as modern. Ha, guess I should get out more!
So I layered it, spray basted it with my cheap hair spray basting spray and started rolling it up. 


You can see that my backing and batting are bigger than the top. Whew! Good save.
Now it is all rolled up and ready to take home to quilt on my lovely Baby Lock Espire (they now call it the "Symphony" in case you wondered.)  
I think I had a good morning. How was yours?

9 comments:

Petit Design Co. said...

I hate it when you go somewhere else to sew and you forget something (or overlook something as in your case.) Luckily you were able to salvage your trip and finish your task of basting. Maybe this is why going to sew days at guild does not appeal to me?!

Rhonda said...

Hold everything..... did you say cheap hairspray acts as a basting glue.... tell me more!!

Quiltingranny said...

I second Rhonda, tell us more and does is ruin the colors in the quilt at all?

Tangos Treasures said...

Good save!!

Heather said...

Love the pieced backing! I have been doing that more and more with my quilts!

Pat said...

yes.....very good save, Gene!!! Good for you!!!

Miss Hillbilly said...

What? Hair spray? Are you for real???

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

I was not near as productive....I need to eat more Wheaties to keep up with you.

Smiles,
Kelly

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Glad you were able to enlarge the backing with very little work. The deep purple addition is perfect.