Monday, July 25, 2011

When it rains....

I really hate to post this, but I didn't want folks to think I am ignoring them.  No I am not ignoring you, I promise.  


They say, "when it rains, it pours" - well I have been poured on and poured out.  After all the other things that have happened, I got a call Sunday from my SIL.  She was with my mother and noticed that Mom exhibited excessive  thirst.  So when they got home from church, she checked Mom's blood sugar.  Can you say "through the roof!" ???   Since she knows I know about diabetes, she called me.  I told her some things to do, and to check again in a couple of hours.  (Mom was not on meds for diabetes)  Meanwhile, I drove for home, I was 2 hours away.  I had a thought and called back. "Jenn, did you look at the date on those test strips?" She checked, "Oh, they are way out of date!"
I stopped by and got fresh ones.  When I got to Mom's and checked again, it read over 400, I grabbed my meter (different brand) and rechecked. It was within 9 points.


So I gave Mom a dose of metformin and stayed the night with her.  I cleaned out some high sugar stuff she didn't need to be tempted with.   Anyway, I was offline last night, the again most of the day. I was able to check a few things on my phone...but that is limited. 


Today I went to work for a bit then took Mom to the doctor, pharmacy and home again.  I am whipped.  I need to be quilting, but I don't even have the energy to read blogs. 
I promise, I am not ignoring anyone - unless you count the sandman.  I am trying to ignore him 'til I catch up the laundry. 


20 comments:

Wellville said...

I had no idea you were going through so much more than just the loss of your dad. I hope you can get her sugar under control. Any ideas on why it would be that high if she's not a diabetic? HUGS Gene. Thinking of you.

Rhonda said...

Oh dear. Is your mom on any other meds that might read as high sugar?? Google the symptoms... that might give you some suggestions.

Pamela Kieffer said...

It is a blessing she has you to look after her. So many oldsters don't have anyone.

Sherry said...

We know your not forgetting us. Remember family always come first. You will be in my prayers tonight.

Petit Design Co. said...

scary! I'm glad your mom is ok and you were able to get there and help her. Take it easy.

Miss Hillbilly said...

Sorry your life has been so busy lately. It is so good that you can take care of your mom. My husband had a stroke almost a year ago now from his diabetes. His was over 400 all the time until then and he didn't care. Now it stays around 250 by diet control. (He refuses his day time insulin. He will take his night time one only). All bread, (any flour at all), potatoes, rice, corn, sugar, are gone. We are used to it now. Get some rest as you can.

Andrea said...

Bugger the laundry Gene and get some sleep !!! Really hope things settle down for you and best wishes to your Mum xxx

Kate said...

Gene, you are certainly going through the mill.....and then some!!
Please rest assured that people on here genuinely love you and we are praying for you and your situation and sending strength and courage your way. Remember the one set of footprints? Right now you are being carried and your strength WILL build up again. Then you will produce even more awesome work! It is often through the trials that creative people gather their best ideas!!
Every blessing gene.
Take care.
Kate

ooglebloops said...

Good thing you were there for her!! Enjoy your catchup sleep............

Tangos Treasures said...

Sending Prayers to y'all!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

My prayers are with you, Gene. As our parents age, life does not get any easier. Don't worry about us. We will be here when you have the time. Remember to take care of yourself, too.

luv2quilt2 said...

So sorry to hear that you're mother has been going through a health crisis. She is so fortunate to have a caring family to see her through. Forget the laundry and take care of yourself.

Unknown said...

Hang in there, Gene! Things will settle down soon. In the mean time, don't forget to take care of yourself as well!

Barbara said...

Only place you can go from here is up...try to hang on for that.

Melissa ;-) said...

You sure don't need one more thing, Gene. You be sure you are checking up on you, too! All that stress - not good. Hang in there!!!

Pat said...

I'm sorry to hear about your mom but glad you were called and able to get there and start to get the situation under control. I'm sure the stress of recent events hasn't helped your mother, either. Please don't worry about not reading blogs or not posting...just do what needs to be done. We all understand (and most of us have had times when we had situations that kept us away from quilting and blogging, too). I'll add your mom to my prayers.

limpingalong said...

Can't help but wonder what the doctor said since you took her there and then to the pharmacy. Can the high sugar reading be the result of recent stress? So sorry you are having to deal with this but that is what kids do, isn't it!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

You certainly have had more than your fair share of issues lately. What? Did you say you are behind in reading blogs??? I can't even imagine such a thing...ROFL

Ignore away...ya gotta do what is best for you first!!!

Hugs,
Kelly

Patty said...

Hang in there Gene, sounds like your Mom's in good hands between you and your and your sister. Prayers being sent your way.

Royce said...

Oh dear I'm so glad you are kind of close and can go to your mom when you need to. That is a blessing. I hope everything works out OK - I know you had to be worried. Take care of yourself. We all want you to be happy and taking care of your family and yourself is what you need to be doing.