Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Flower Power.

I have not fallen off the face of the earth.  Although a couple of times it felt that way to me. I am starting to heal and have actually been back at work. Yesterday was a long day, and at the end of it I took a nap. After the nap I was completely non-productive. 
If I have the energy this evening, I plan to do some sewing, so maybe soon I will have something else to show you. 


For today, I thought I would show a couple of hibiscus paintings. Hibiscus always remind me of semi-tropical places. Before hurricane Ivan, my nana had a condo in Pensacola, FL.  The picture that was the inspiration for these two paintings was taken in the courtyard there. 



While each was painted from the same flower, they are very different.  
I would like to know - Which is your favorite?  Why? What draws you to the one you like best?  


12 comments:

Donna said...

The second is my favorite. The colors are richer which I love.
Both are lovely.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I am drawn to the top flower but then maybe it's because it is close to one I have in my yard. They are both quite beautiful!!

Petit Design Co. said...

Glad you're feeling, somewhat, better Gene.

I like the top painting better. I think it's the composition and white space that I like

Barb said...

Mine is the second one, the rich colors....

ooglebloops said...

Love them both - but prefer the first one. Hibiscus always reminds me of the beach.I brought some home one summer,and planted them in my previous house's garden, have to get some for my garden here!!!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I love the first for the 3D feel of the flower and the other for the rich color. They are to say the least both beautiful.

quiltmom anna said...

Hi Gene,
It is good to hear that you are feeling better.
I love these flowers-we used to have a plant the bloomed for many years in our house.
I love the second one because of the background support of it- it feels more finished to me. The background does not overwhelm but provides a setting for it.
Thanks for sharing.
Warmest regards,
Anna

Pat said...

Although I like how 3D the first one seems, I like the color better on the second one and that one appears more anchored...at least on my phone screen. Glad you are feeling stronger.

Barbara said...

For me, there is no way to pick a favorite flower painting. They have different strong qualities so they complement each other, and they belong together!
Feel better, but don't rush it.

Patty said...

I like them both, but prefer the top painting softer colors appears to have a bit more details, but perhaps it is the time of day it was painted and the light was different. Feel better.

Unknown said...

I think I like the one on the bottom best. It has a bit more depth, maybe? They are both lovely, and I love hibiscus as well. Here in Ohio we only see them as potted annuals.
(Thanks too, for the nice comment you left regarding my recent quilt top!)

Karen H said...

They both are very beautiful... but I guess I prefer the bottom one, because of the vibrant color. Glad to see you are back in commission..... :)